Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Reflecting on Weber Kettle Year 2018  (Read 3186 times)

james1787

• WKC Ranger
Re: Reflecting on Weber Kettle Year 2018
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 11:22:15 AM »
Well, I have a Brave on the way that was agented the middle of last year and should hopefully arrive this week. I was an agent for several grills and a few accessories this year. I think I picked up at least 6 or 7 grills.. including 3 in the last week or so (I'll have to look back at my pics to get the exact count). I had one or two roadside rescues (still trying to find a home for one).

I tried a few new things on the grill. Not sure what 2019 will bring, looking forward to it.

Edit: I was curious as to the actual count of stuff I agented / was an intermediate for / rescued in 2018 -
Agent for performer - Feb 4 2018
Agent for rotisserie - May 20 2018
Agent for black ssp - June 3 2018
Curbside save - OTS - June 18 2018
Agent for flat top 26er - Dec 24 2018
Intermediate for Green MT - Dec 26 2018
Intermediate for Cado - Dec 26 2018

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 05:20:48 PM by james1787 »
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

DrewZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 12:37:48 PM »
2018 was full of grill adventures.

My goal at the beginning of the year was to agent, so I did:
In February, I was able to pick up a NIB fire pit and pass it off to @CatskillSmoker as part of a multi-state, multi-member swap

Later on, I agented an Outrider for @firedude5015

I snagged a Blue MT in NJ on a Friday afternoon and passed it off to @CatskillSmoker in NY the next morning: 

Along the way, I developed the idea of the A.W.O.P. — Agent Without Principal.  (As opposed to Agent without PrincipLE).  Under this theory, I’d pick up grills of interest and pass them through to interested members at cost.  Oddly enough, this only involved beer logo grills (copper Sam Adams, blue Sam Adams and black Guinness).

Rescuing:
I picked up my first curbside rescue: an 18 OTS that I passed off to another member for free along with an 18.5 WSM center section.

Restoring:
Had the privilege of going to work on a couple of acquisitions that had been neglected: ’62 Glen Blue and a ’77 Yellow.

Did some modifications:

Made a tuck-n-carry midget for use on the dock at my cabin.

Customized a non-assist SSP.  First with a Sage.  Then with an LE.

Added Master Touch elements to an 18.5 Plum.

Made a mini chimney for firing up small amounts of briqs for low and slow cooks.

De-taco’ed a Blue Wave SJG.

Was extremely grateful to be on the receiving end of some Agenthood:

WSM Rack from @Firemunkee

Yellow, courtesy of @charred

Made some trades:

After finding a second WSM rack, I swapped it with @brewtownbeatdown for an internal ash pan

Traded a C code 18 for a Plum 18 with @CatskillSmoker

Along the way, I managed to accumulate some nice hardware for myself:
’62 Glen Blue
'77 Yellow
Blue Wave SJG
GGA
CGA
Non-assist SSP Cart
LE
Plum 18.5
22.5 Rotisserie
Old School charcoal baskets

Oh, and also found some time to actually cook on these beauties —from the 1962 Glen Blue to the 2017 LE.

Needless to say, I am very much looking forward to another year of adventure with this brotherhood of shared insanity.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 12:40:02 PM by DrewZ »
Drew Z.
70th Anniversary-SSP, A-Code GA, Snap On GA, Blue 18" OTG, Eagles SJ, 18" Tuck-N-Carry Midget, 3-burner Genny Jr., S-320

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Reflecting on Weber Kettle Year 2018
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2019, 06:09:12 AM »
2018 for me truly was the year of the Mighty Eighteens. This year I acquired (in no particular order) a Jumbo Joe, a Sam Adams Copper 18, a Plum 18, a Blue Wave 18, a MBH red 18 (birth year!!), a MBH Blue 18, a Brave, a Yachtsman, and the pičce de résistance... an excellent condition early ‘56 Weber Bros Metalworks 18.  Also finally got my red 26 into cookable condition, snagged a big wheel Seville, was gifted a cutting board/table for my 18 Woodard, acquired an Ivory 22, picked up a couple of new Euro SJs  (Smoke and Wedgewood Blue), and got my hands on a rare red AG grill [emoji41]. Definitely a good year for kettle hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 06:13:56 AM by Bob BQ »
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2019, 06:43:16 AM »
My collection was only +1 for the year, but I had some good purchases/sales throughout the year.  I picked up an SJP, Green SJG, Red Offset SJ, and Red F-code 22.  Sold off a Red H-Code 22, Green L-Code 22, and copper SJG.

My restored and blacked out SJP:

The red offset which still needs restoration

Green SJG along with the copper that I sold:

H-Code (left) that I sold and F-Code(right) that replaced it:
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2019, 09:05:42 AM »
I am used to grilling or barbequing at least two or three times each week. In 2018 I was lucky if I got to cook outside more than twice in a month! My employer has had some staffing issues and the overtime has been plentiful, so the lack of free time was well compensated.  ;)
I did have the opportunity to help some wayward kettles find new homes. I was able to agent two different yellow kettles within a couple of weeks of each other. A friend of mine loves redheads, and I brought him a red SSP and a red 18. I sent my Outrider to Australia, via Florida. I even had a beautiful chestnut-coppertone wander through my garage on its way to the Northeast.

I did acquire a few kettles for myself in 2018. I couldn't pass up a near-perfect Jumbo Joe for $10. I like it so much that letting my Outrider go wasn't hard at all.
2019-01-04_09-53-42 by jcnaz, on Flickr
I spent years looking for a black Master-Touch. FB Marketplace finally came through and I found two of them, EZ and EE codes. I haven't restored them, I just cleaned them and put them in the rotation.
20190104_093903 by jcnaz, on Flickr
Kettle Karma was also very good to me and brought me these two thumbscrew kettles. A Texan and a 49er! Thank you @CatskillSmoker!
20181113_144719 by jcnaz, on Flickr

@CatskillSmoker alerted me to a FB ad for a $35 Slow-n-Sear that I was able to grab. I am having a blast learning how to use it.
 20190104_094214 by jcnaz, on Flickr

Finally, I bought a sweet NG Silver"B" and never have to worry about running out of propane again.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 09:07:37 AM by jcnaz »
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

bluewhisper

• WKC Brave
    • Alex Šilbajoris
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2019, 04:29:13 AM »
Dang that green rig is handsome.

Pezdogs

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2019, 06:02:10 AM »
A few scores for 2018 for me. The $20 red GA on Facebook marketplace in the states was a crazy score for me to bring home to Australia and thanks to the agents that assisted me in 2018.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

pancho2017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2019, 06:44:18 AM »
I bought my first Weber in August 2018, then bought another and another and another. I think by New Year's Eve I had 11. I've picked up three more since the 1st.

Sad thing is out of 14 grills I've only cooked on three of them BUT I've bought another house and this place has the perfect backyard for grilling so I'll be doing more cooks on most or all my grills this year.

Heres a few pics of the 11, the last pic was the dudes CL pic.

I've used the red LE, the JJP and the Q1200, the others are waiting to be fired up.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2019, 08:20:35 PM »

I've used the red LE, the JJP and the Q1200, the others are waiting to be fired up.

Love that black Q1200! Reminds me of Darth Vader... [emoji41]🖤

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2019, 03:33:02 PM »
2018 was pretty crazy for me. The list of members who helped or I have help is very long. I must have helped over a dozen members with grills and got to make a lot of great relationships with members all over the US. I gifted @Shoestringshop a Bears SJ and @jcnaz  a thumbscrew 49er and Texan for his generosity of GIVING me a Boobie. That will be a different post. I helped 2 members complete the SA 18 collection and another start theirs. The list just goes on and if I forgot you, please accept my apologies. I don't know how many now live in the barn but it's a LOT. I got to complete a bunch of my SSP,22,18, and SJ collections which is what I originally started to collect. I have all SSP colors collected with all available others now except for the elusive Brownie. My SJ collection went from 6 to 15. And my MBH collection I'm guessing tripled in size. I feel very fortunate to have gotten some beautiful grills. Hope I'm not to picture heavy. Thanks Fellas for all the help and encouragement.

5 missing in the photo

2 end of year flat top 26r scores

Then not to much later @harris92 offer me this 68 18 Cado. Complete 1968 Cado collection

@GrillGiant informed me of this Yellow 22 on Long Island

I drove 10 hours RT to Rochester for the Glen Blue. Blue Roti ring came from Buffalo NY

Traded @GrillGiant for this brave

And my favorite of the year. I need to have a sunny day to get better pictures and post a LOOOOONG Story.
No written words could show my appreciation to @jcnaz for gifting me this beautiful work of Weber.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2019, 09:52:14 PM »
2018 was pretty crazy for me. The list of members who helped or I have help is very long. I must have helped over a dozen members with grills and got to make a lot of great relationships with members all over the US. I gifted @Shoestringshop a Bears SJ and @jcnaz  a thumbscrew 49er and Texan for his generosity of GIVING me a Boobie. That will be a different post. I helped 2 members complete the SA 18 collection and another start theirs. The list just goes on and if I forgot you, please accept my apologies. I don't know how many now live in the barn but it's a LOT. I got to complete a bunch of my SSP,22,18, and SJ collections which is what I originally started to collect. I have all SSP colors collected with all available others now except for the elusive Brownie. My SJ collection went from 6 to 15. And my MBH collection I'm guessing tripled in size. I feel very fortunate to have gotten some beautiful grills. Hope I'm not to picture heavy. Thanks Fellas for all the help and encouragement.

5 missing in the photo

2 end of year flat top 26r scores

Then not to much later @harris92 offer me this 68 18 Cado. Complete 1968 Cado collection

@GrillGiant informed me of this Yellow 22 on Long Island

I drove 10 hours RT to Rochester for the Glen Blue. Blue Roti ring came from Buffalo NY

Traded @GrillGiant for this brave

And my favorite of the year. I need to have a sunny day to get better pictures and post a LOOOOONG Story.
No written words could show my appreciation to @jcnaz for gifting me this beautiful work of Weber.

Awesome year, Colin! No such thing as "too picture heavy" around here!

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.