Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Homemade sausage  (Read 1140 times)

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Homemade sausage
« on: December 11, 2018, 03:30:14 PM »
Growing up my dad and grandfather used to make homemade sausage.  Nothing fancy; they made sweet and hot Italian sausage.  I recently inherited a kitchen aid stand mixer, and I’d like to purchase the meat grinder and stuffer attachment to make sausage.   My dad is going to teach me and help carry on our tradition.   

Does anyone have recommendations on brands of hog casings?  Thanks for the advice. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biddyK

• Smokey Joe
Re: Homemade sausage
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 04:48:56 PM »
I'm not the expert of others here but we've been processing one hog a year for the past decade and do a fair bit of Bratwurst and Italian sausage. I ordered this product off of Amazon last year and was very pleased with it as compared to what is offered locally.
 https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EZTIGNA/ref=oh_aui_i_sh_in_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 04:53:59 PM »
My only advice is to search out the old Hobart attachment...The new KA grinders are made of plastic and the casings split easily...That's a problem when grinding partially frozen meat...

as far as casings I would look to http://www.butcher-packer.com/
You will get a better product than you get from Bass Pro and the like...

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 04:46:11 AM »
If you don't wana buy a whole hank you can probly buy enough for 20lb.of finished sausage from the meat molester at your favorite grocery store meat department.

Iv gotten them localy from a grocery store, carneceria, multiple butcher shops, butcher supply warehouse, restaurant supply and a salumi.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 06:21:46 AM »
I have the KA attachment, but also this. I was planning to restore one, but this came already done for around $100. They are still made like this not too far from me here in PA. I need to stop by for some inspiration.  http://www.chop-rite.com/product/sausage-stuffer-25-35/

Planning some Chorizo and German sausage over the holidays.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 06:26:34 AM by 56MPG »
Retired

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 03:15:26 AM »
I’ve got a KA Stand mixer with the plastic meat grinder attachment and never had any problems with it, they recently came out with a metal housing, so if it does go titsup I’ll upgrade.
I collect Enterprise Hand Grinders and have a 4 & 8Qt Stuffers with all guts and a 2:1 chain drive gear reducer that’s made it much more user friendly.

I just buy the salt packed hog casings and soak then rinse them out.

This page is a pretty comprehensive sausage formulation site - if you can’t find it here you don’t need it!

http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

PorkPatrol

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 06:11:03 AM »
I would definitely shy away from the kitchen aid stuffer attachment and go with a dedicated sausage press. It is very helpful to load all of your meat as you grind it into the hover, then crank with one hand and mediate your grasp on the casings to get your desired sausage fill.

With the kitchen aid (and it’s tray style hopper) you will find the need to grasp the casings with one hand, load the meat with the other and almost need a third hand to keep the meat feeding into the machine.

It’s tough to explain but the sausage press is much easier. For the cost of the kitchen aid attachments, just get a dedicated device.

As far as a grind, I’ve taken the easy way out and asked my butcher to grind a pork shoulder and some bacon for me to get to the magical 80/20 ratio

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 10:03:31 AM »
Damn I need to get one of those enterprise stuffers. I’m looking to make about 10-20 pounds this year

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 03:11:56 PM »
I'll also recommend getting a dedicated stuffer. The Kitchenaid setup doesn't work very well for stuffing.

I had one of the plastic grinder attachments, and it did break. I replaced it with a stainless steel setup from Chef's Choice, and it works like a charm.

You'll love sausage-making -- it's the perfect hobby to go along with Weber cooking.

Another tip: If you get interested in making dried/cured sausage, look into the Umai bags. They're really easy, and turn out a good product.
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 03:51:52 AM »
Thanks for all the replies!   That’s the beauty of this club.  I would never have gotten the experience in a book or website.   I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 02:48:37 AM »
I have the same set up. Kitchen Aid. I use the salted casings they sell at my local Shoprite.  One world of advice, don’t force it or over fill the casings. They break. Please post any info your dad shares as I’m also new at it and bought the attachment so the darn thing would get more use.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club