Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Budweiser Kettle  (Read 2191 times)

wba1949

• Smokey Joe
Budweiser Kettle
« on: December 10, 2018, 08:24:48 AM »
Hi, My name's Bill and this is my first post. I really enjoy this site and your comments and photos of past cooks and your equipment.  I'm enclosing a photo of a kettle I bought over the weekend and had a question for you pros in the finish areas.  Is it impossible to remove the BUDWEISER logo from the lid, or it ingrained in the porcelain? I don't have physical possession yet and was just curious.  Thanks for any input.  (If it was the Bacardi Rum logo, I'd leave it on, lol.)

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Re: Budweiser Kettle
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 08:44:20 AM »
I’m not sure on that one as it’s not a Weber. If it were, the logo could not come off. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

jimz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 09:15:34 AM »
cool grill. I like where the thermometer sits.

wba1949

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 09:22:03 AM »
]Interesting that Rub doesn't think it's a Weber.  Curious as to why you don't believe it's a Weber...I haven't went to pick it up yet. By the way it was advertised as a "Budweiser Weber Edition" grill.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 09:40:13 AM by wba1949 »

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 09:33:00 AM »
Interesting that Rub doesn't think it's a Weber.  Curious as to why you don't believe it's a Weber...I haven't went to pick it up yet.

Unfortunately its definitely not a Weber but often gets confused for one.  Even if it wasn't already known to be a non-weber kettle there are some clues.  The easiest to spot IMO is the number of spokes in the triangle near the wheels.  This has 6 on each side.  18 and 22 inch webers get 3 on each side and the 26 inch weber gets 4 on each side.  Your kettle's lid also has a flat spot where the handle attaches that a weber kettle doesnt have.  The handle itself and how/where it attaches also looks different.  Eventually these things kind of jump out at you but its easy to get confused for sure!  Still a looking red kettle!
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

wba1949

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 09:44:51 AM »
Thanks, lksdrinker and Rub, I sure was fooled!  Thought I was getting a great deal ($100) for an unused Weber. I'm no pro....sure looks like one to a novice! Think I'll cancel out the sell. Don't really want a clone.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 09:50:16 AM »
When in doubt - always ask to see the lid vent. That alone could verify authenticity, origin and date range it was made. I do not recall ever seeing a counterfeit kettle with a Weber-marked lid vent. Keep in mind though some kettles could have been assembled from random parts, including a Weber lid on a non-Weber bowl.
Retired

wba1949

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 10:00:14 AM »
Thanks so much, guys!  Only my first post and already you've saved me 100 bucks!  Not counting the gas money to pick it up.   :) :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 10:02:09 AM by wba1949 »

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 11:07:31 AM »

Thanks so much, guys!  Only my first post and already you've saved me 100 bucks!  Not counting the gas money to pick it up.   :) :)
That’s a ‘win’ in my book, and a heckuva first post. I almost got duped into the same fake Weber deal as you long ago when I was starting. Asking questions is the way to go if in doubt. Fantastic resources (people) here!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 11:53:42 AM »
BTW - Weber did make Budweiser-logo'd kettles and they are sought by many here. At last count Weber issued over 125 kettles with different company logos. Now if you happen to find find a red Bud Ranch, you just hit the jackpot! Another commonly mistaken kettle is the Snap-On Smokey Joe. Weber has made some for real, but there are some pretty convincing knock-offs too. When in doubt, ask here to be sure.

Where are you from? It's very likely there are members close by.
Retired

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 01:46:40 PM »
Just checked this thread for the first time. Threw up in my mouth a little bit upon glancing at that imposter. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 05:53:52 PM »
That definitely is not a Weber kettle. It is nice , but it isn't Weber.

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 12:38:48 AM »
Far left is a real Bud Kettle.
Just needs a new ash catcher.
I have put a new shoes on the front
feet since taking the pic.

jimz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 01:03:14 AM »
just noticed no lid vent as well.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 09:03:32 PM »
Far left is a real Bud Kettle.
Just needs a new ash catcher.
I have put a new shoes on the front
feet since taking the pic.

Holy shit.... those chiefs kettles..... im pretty sure thats only the 2nd maybe 3rd different nfl team 22 known to be around

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app