Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 22 LB turkey  (Read 1148 times)

jimz

• WKC Brave
22 LB turkey
« on: November 21, 2018, 01:13:34 AM »
So picked up the bird and it came in a wee heavy. Im torturing myself on how to cook. I want to spatchcock for speed and even cooking. I have a 26" charcoal along with a 18" WSM. Most important to me is the gravy though and if i spatchcock I dont think I will get drippings to collect. I have also made a 12" extension ring for the 26" that i made to accept my rotisserie that i haven't even used yet. Its a fresh local bird and will be brine tonight. I guess if i roti it i can get drippings with a pan below. Any suggestions? Would love some input.
Happy thanksgiving to all on here this has been a great source of info for me.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 02:47:04 AM by jimz »

bladz

• WKC Ranger
Re: 22 LB turkey
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 02:50:18 AM »
Roti!  I've done a 21lber on a 22" with no problems. Truss it good and have a great Thanksgiving.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 03:46:01 AM »
+1 on the roti and pan for drippings, and you will have a Happy Thanksgiving ! enjoy
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

jimz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 04:27:00 AM »
Thanks guys the roti is heavy duty rated at 50LBS so I should be good there. Any concerns of it drying out as 20 min a pound will be 7 hours on the grill!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 04:31:12 AM »
I agree with the roti. I would just take note of the coal placement and heat when doing it. A 20 lb. will obviously need some time to cook so don’t get it too hot or use much wood (if you choose to) so you don’t get the skin too dark. Placing the coals more towards the thigh end will help for more even roti cooking and if it does start getting dark, you CAN use aluminum foil even when doing a roti bird. Just have to be mindful. I’ve never done one that big before. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 07:32:25 AM »
Thanks guys the roti is heavy duty rated at 50LBS so I should be good there. Any concerns of it drying out as 20 min a pound will be 7 hours on the grill!!!

hmmm 20 minutes a pound?  sounds a bit long unless your bird will be stuffed?  I'll be doing a 14 lb bird on the roti tomorrow and am planning on 11-14 minutes per pounds. 
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

jimz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 08:33:12 AM »
I was on the upper end I will plan for the same

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 09:13:13 AM »
You can spatch it and still get drippings. Put a large foil pan on the charcoal grate of the 26" and cook it indirect. You might have to bend the corners up a little, but it will fit under there with your fire on the opposite side.

If you spin, I'd suggest putting some fire bricks between the coals and the pan (or use an SNS). The pan drippings might start boiling off over the long haul.

Last resort, get some turkey legs (or preferably thighs), dry brine them and roast them oven tonight. You'll have backup drippings and some extra turkey that you can chop for the gravy/stuffing. I always keep a little carton of gravy on hand as a last resort in case it all goes to crap. Hasn't happened yet.

jimz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 08:02:26 AM »
I’m spinning it today guys. Thanks for all the input. Picks to come.

jimz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 08:03:35 AM »
Ready to hit the grill