Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Just scored a 2nd "D" code yellow...but it's going to someone else!  (Read 1522 times)

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
Well, yesterday was a great day!  Thanks to a great lead from @blksabbath, I was able to track down and score a 1978 “D” stamped Yachtsman.  Did I mention this is my second yellow “D” stamp?  My first is a Gourmet!  There is someone on these forums who has had a Yachtsman on the wanted list in his signature for longer than I can remember, he is a great grill fella who has an amazing collection of 18” grills and who also happens to be my brother, @Bob BQ.  This yachtsman is going him, it’s time to get it off that list!  Now onto the story, because it’s a good one.

A couple of months ago, Bob mentioned that Dan (@blksabbath) who lives near Bob had given him a lead on a yachtsman on the property of a seminary near their houses.  Bob briefly mentioned it to me and I basically forgot about it until Dan mentioned it again on the thread that Bob started with his 18” family photos.  That really got me thinking about trying to get this grill for Bob.  Fast forward a couple of weeks and a like-new 22 copperhead gets listed on Craigslist in my area for pretty darn cheap.  I end up getting it with the full intention of trying to trade it for this mysterious seminary yachtsman.  There are actually THREE seminaries in Bob and Dan’s area of town so after searching all of them and more advice from Dan, I spotted the grill on a walk by.  I went to the seminary website and contacted the Dean of Seminarians thinking maybe it belonged to a Seminarian.  More than a week later he still hadn’t gotten back to me so I literally e-mailed everyone else on the website contact list.  A few got back to me directing me to contact the business manager because he probably knew who it belonged to.  He never got back.  Then yesterday during a weekend master’s degree class I was taking I get an e-mail from the original priest telling me that a trade would be acceptable and to call him when I could pick it up!  Got home from my class, cleaned up the grate for the 22 copper and drove to the seminary to make the exchange.

The first thing I noticed upon seeing the grill up close was that a thermometer had been installed in the lid (but a yachtsman with a thermometer is better than no yachtsman at all!).  I also noticed the lid had a large tab (was hoping for a ’74, Bob’s birth year).  I took the grill to a trash can near where I was parked to empty out the ashes and charcoal and saw that all three bowl vents were missing.  Oh well, they can be replaced.  After putting it in my car I decided to go back to the patio area and do a quick look for the other vents and wound up finding 2 of the three!  They were pretty trashed in terms of being covered in a mixture of grease and dried ash but the first thing I noticed was that the only clear spot on one of the vents was that it was stamped with a “D!”  On the drive home I made a call to @Craig to tell him the good news and he asked if the lid was stamped D as well or if it was a regular ’78 vent.  I hadn’t even checked so when I got home the first thing I looked at was the bowl vent which had not one but TWO D stamps!

Bob has always said that he believes that if you are meant to get a grill you will get it and if you don’t get a grill you want, you weren’t meant to get it and another will eventually come along.  He has had a couple of yachtsman deals fall through over the years but always stuck with his mantra.  As cheesy as it sounds, I truly believe that those other deals fell through because he was supposed to get this grill.  What are the odds that I end up with not only a super rare D code gourmet all those years ago, but actually find its little brother a D code yachtsman!?  For MY brother?!  Awesome stuff!  A really big thanks goes out to Dan for spotting this and helping me nail down its location!  This truly could not have happened if it weren’t for you!  Thanks for reading through this long post and enjoy the pictures!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 08:25:57 AM by Lowbrass »
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Just scored a 2nd "D" code yellow...but it's going to someone else!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 08:33:58 AM »
Wow that is a great story and good on you to pass it on to some one who has been looking for a yellow!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
That is an awesome story, grate news for a couple of awesome brothers and great WKC grillfellas and an awesome assist from Dan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Great story and nice assist by Blksabbath!  Congrats to everyone involved!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 08:57:57 AM »
That is an awesome story.  Congrats to you and Bob...just out of curiosity, which seminary?  If it's Concordia, I'm going to be kicking myself, because my best friend from college actually is a professor there and lives on campus...I've had multiple BBQs there and even convinced him to get a performer.  Finally, do we have any info what these D stamps were all about? 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

db3694

• WKC Brave
Awesome story !

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 09:04:01 AM »
That is an awesome story.  Congrats to you and Bob...just out of curiosity, which seminary?  If it's Concordia, I'm going to be kicking myself, because my best friend from college actually is a professor there and lives on campus...I've had multiple BBQs there and even convinced him to get a performer.  Finally, do we have any info what these D stamps were all about?

Kenrick-Glennon Seminary.  I believe that the theory on the “D” stamp is that they were demo grills.  Does that sound right @Craig?
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 09:05:11 AM »
Good to know.  I would have love to seen a 70s demo with yellow and lime grills!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 09:25:13 AM »
Great story! It was meant to be.

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 09:33:53 AM »
@Lowbrass and @BBQ Bob I'm stoked it all worked out for you guys.  I was a little worried what condition it was in since I didn't get a close up look at it.  Anyways, It looks great...well-used/loved, but very yellow and very 18.

cheers!
dan

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Just scored a 2nd "D" code yellow...but it's going to someone else!
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 10:08:09 AM »
I just noticed how both D’s are stamped in the same weird position in the lid vent. Neat. 

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2018, 10:30:08 AM »
@Lowbrass and @BBQ Bob I'm stoked it all worked out for you guys.  I was a little worried what condition it was in since I didn't get a close up look at it.  Anyways, It looks great...well-used/loved, but very yellow and very 18.

cheers!
dan

Dan, I was a little worried too!  But I knew that at least he would have a yellow 18 to tide him over until he got a better condition grill (if it was roached out or something).  You are dead right with the "great...well-used/loved" comment.  The thing is VERY solid!  Other than the lid thermometer and the vents that fell off (not due to rust) this thing is in great overall shape!  I hope Bob can find a period correct bowl vent to replace the one I couldn't find.  I actually e-mailed the priest to thank him again and ask him to spread the word to whomever grills to keep their eyes peeled for the third vent.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 10:32:39 AM by Lowbrass »

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Just scored a 2nd "D" code yellow...but it's going to someone else!
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2018, 10:43:39 AM »
Very, very excited to take possession of this Yachtsman! Thanks again, @Lowbrass! Kettle karma is on your side!

Once I get this one and my Brave, I’ll just need a Custom to complete the Mighty Eighteens!

Here’s the text I got from @blksabbath/Dan back in August.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 11:48:27 AM by Bob BQ »
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 12:42:15 PM »
Grate score Tommy. Congrats Bob. Sometimes things are the way they are because that's the way they were meant to be. Enjoy.

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
Wow, great story!!! Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Weber Kettle Club mobile app