Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 225F how on the WSCG?  (Read 992 times)

myc5

• Happy Cooker
225F how on the WSCG?
« on: November 12, 2018, 02:58:07 PM »
I've always struggled to get and maintain 225F for a long and slow cook. All the youtube videos I watch make sound easy.

I light maybe half a chimney and dump it in with unlit lump. Bottom open just a bit. Top damper closed but swivelled open.

Temp just shoots past 350. How do you get it back down? Open the lid to let heat escape but that gives more air for the fire.

Years ago I tried a ceramic kamado. Had the same trouble. Gave up, so do just indirect and direct grilling.

What am I doing wrong?

Don't know how to search from tapatalk app on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABROB

• WKC Brave
Re: 225F how on the WSCG?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 03:23:38 PM »
Try lighting a lot less charcoal to start and keep the bottom damper barely open then adjust from there.  If you've already limited the air, all that's left is less fuel.

Doug G

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 09:41:39 PM »
I use to do a lot of low and slow on a Chargriller Acorn. If you overshoot the temp it is very difficult to get it back down. I would load the lump then use a few alcohol soaked cotton balls to start the fire. I always started with both vents fully open. At about 150 I would start closing the vents to about half way. At 180 close a little more. Then at 200 have the bottom just cracked and the top maybe 1/8 or 1/4 open. From there just make small adjustments with the vents and give your adjustment time to work.
I think the key is to slowly sneak up on your temp. This always worked for me. It takes a little time to learn your grill but it is very rewarding when you get there.
Just don’t give up!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

myc5

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 02:49:21 AM »
Thanks for the tips.

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 04:29:13 AM »
I use Kingsford and I will fill the bottom almost full of unlit briquettes leaving a small hole to put about 3 or 4 lit briquettes. I barley crack the bottom open ( I mean I close it all the way and then just barely tap it open ) and then I fold top vent open. When thermo starts to move I close top and crack top damper. I’ve held 225 to 250 like that for 16hrs on the WSCG doin a butt. It’s spiked up to the 300 zone on me before and by closing all the vents it will come back down. Once around 225 I cracked them open and it’s like the spike in temp never happened. Hope that helps

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 04:44:05 AM »
less lit charcoal and close the dampers down for first 30 mins.

4-8 lit briqs.

after 30 mins start openin up the dampers moderately a d progress opening over the next few hrs.

i usually figure out other stuff to do and then periodically perform the damper maintenance over the first few hrs.

keep in mind stock therms are inaccurate..they help gauge overall heat increases but highly inaccurate
Grills

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 05:40:21 AM »
Like others have said here, I start with lot less lid charcoal. I use my Smoke Thermo to monitor temp at a cooking grate level and adjusting vents as needed to bring up to desired temp. Much harder to snuff out and bring the temp down which I do not like doing anyways as I think it creates dirty smoke.  Small vent adjustment to bring temp down is fine, but I normally won't touch it, even if bit higher, as long as the temp is stable.  For example, temp has come up steadily to a desired temp of 250f but has stabilized at 275f. I would just let it ride without touching vents. It should go for many hrs without temp fluctuation.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 06:03:25 AM by greenweb »

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 06:54:57 AM »
Same here.  Bottom barely open, top open slightly.  Almost as if you are shutting it down.   4 lit briquettes on a pile of unlit.  I make a crater in the middle of the pile and put the lit in there and let them burn outward.   I marked near the sweep with a sharpie to show where is open because you obviously can't see down there once the heat shield goes on.  My first cook was super hot as well, just shut the whole thing down.  Very different than my other webers, uds, etc.  Runs hot probably due to the insulation.  It's like an oven.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 08:05:22 AM »
So, I've never even worried about 225.  My summit seems very happy at 250-275 and stays there for HOURS, and everything I've cooked is just fine!  My advice, don't stress if you don't stay at 225.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 09:04:14 AM »
[emoji3516]this.

Don’t aim for one temp. Try to stay in a temp range. You’ll enjoy cooking a lot more once you do.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 09:25:49 AM »

All of the above advice is excellent.

Don’t aim for one temp. Try to stay in a temp range. You’ll enjoy cooking a lot more once you do.

This is where I prefer to land....
For low'n'slow, generally in the 250-299℉ range.  Anything above 300º, then I start to freak out.  J/K
FWIW, IMHO, JM2C... 225℉ is so over-rated.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.