Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My Favorite Thing About Signals? Smoke for $20 Off!  (Read 1791 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: My Favorite Thing About Signals? Smoke for $20 Off!
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2018, 01:43:23 PM »

At some point i may need to get a thermometer. I'm old fashioned so I've been relying  mostly on my 10 fingers for the past 30 years that I've been grilling.

I generally don’t use anything but an instant read but certain things like jerky and cheese, I like to be more accurate.

However, with it being winter, I will probably use one for the last half of the cook on large cuts so I don’t have to go outside lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2018, 02:06:34 PM »
I did a long cook yesterday and ... I reached for the Smoke instead of the Signals.

reasons:
- i didn't want to move my grill into wifi zone
- i didn't want to deal with bluetooth nonsense
- i didn't want to deal with a most likely dead battery in the signals
- i knew the smoke would be good to go without any hassle. battery for DAYSSSS

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2018, 04:22:50 PM »

I did a long cook yesterday and ... I reached for the Smoke instead of the Signals.

reasons:

One of the main reasons I bought the smoke was because I don’t get WiFi in my grilling area. I could have worked on my WiFi and figured out a way possibly, but if I understand correctly, the smoke gateway uses an rf signal to communicate to the base so I’m assuming that if I get a gateway, I could position it between the base and my router effectively giving me WiFi coverage where the signals would not. Am I understanding that correctly?  In other words, could I put my gateway 10 feet away in the kitchen while the base is outside?

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 01:08:17 PM »

reasons:

One of the main reasons I bought the smoke was because I don’t get WiFi in my grilling area. I could have worked on my WiFi and figured out a way possibly, but if I understand correctly, the smoke gateway uses an rf signal to communicate to the base so I’m assuming that if I get a gateway, I could position it between the base and my router effectively giving me WiFi coverage where the signals would not. Am I understanding that correctly?  In other words, could I put my gateway 10 feet away in the kitchen while the base is outside?

Yes, the WiFi gateway can go between the smoke and your network. You should likely be able to find a location where the smoke FR receiver works and also where WiFi works. The smoke gateway should be able to work there.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
My Favorite Thing About Signals? Smoke for $20 Off!
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2018, 02:40:54 PM »

reasons:

Yes, the WiFi gateway can go between the smoke and your network. You should likely be able to find a location where the smoke FR receiver works and also where WiFi works. The smoke gateway should be able to work there.

Awesome. That’s what I was hoping. I don’t have the gateway yet. Maybe a Christmas present if I’m good.  But my smoke arrived today

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2018, 02:42:51 PM »
Thank you to Jcnaz for alerting me to the sale and thank you to my old thermometer for finally breaking.

Homerdog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2018, 10:07:23 PM »

reasons:

The Smoke is great on AA batteries. Been using the Smoke on a regular basis for about 18 months with the same batteries. Still going strong. I like the idea of the Signals, but it's another gadget that needs charging, I'm sure it works great. Heck, sometimes I wish my phone ran on AA or AAA batteries. Sometimes, I just get sick of having to "charge" something. Okay, rant is over.