Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smokey Joe or Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill  (Read 6245 times)

DaGoomba

• WKC Brave
Smokey Joe or Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill
« on: June 03, 2013, 08:08:22 AM »
Want to get a portable charcoal grill and wondering what is the better of the two... It appears the Go-anywhere has more grilling space and the Smokey Joe is less expensive.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance...

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
Re: Smokey Joe or Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 08:25:19 AM »
'
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 05:44:11 PM by DoppelBock »

DaGoomba

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 08:27:31 AM »
SJ. Very versatile, you can make a smoker out of it....well, you used to any way ::)

Ah yes, I have seen the Mini WSM made from the SJ. What did you mean by "well, you used to any way"? Did something change in the design?

Thanks

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 08:47:36 AM »
You still can, but you just need to find the right Tamale Pot to fit. Supposedly Amazon stop selling the more desirable pot, but you can find others, just make sure it fits well before you cut into it.
Is the grill going to travel or stay close to home?
The GA is easy to transport. Teh SJ Gold is also easy to transport, but its venting is deifferent and not as desirable. If you need a larger grill surface, look for an older SJ Platinum. Its 18 inches like a kettle, but the leg configuration is different. It has vents like a SJ Gold and is portable.
Welcome to the site!
 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 08:48:14 AM »
'
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 05:43:51 PM by DoppelBock »

DaGoomba

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »
You still can, but you just need to find the right Tamale Pot to fit. Supposedly Amazon stop selling the more desirable pot, but you can find others, just make sure it fits well before you cut into it.
The GA is easy to transport. Teh SJ Gold is also easy to transport, but its venting is deifferent and not as desirable. If you need a larger grill surface, look for an older SJ Platinum. Its 18 inches like a kettle, but the leg configuration is different. It has vents like a SJ Gold and is portable.
Welcome to the site!
 8)

Ya for travel. Thanks for the insight!

bryanw21157

• WKC Ranger
Re: Re: Smokey Joe or Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 09:41:42 AM »
Welcome to the site!
 8)

Dont overlook the Jumbo Joe. 
The only thing better than BBQ is more BBQ
Black Performer -- 18-1/2" Coca-Cola OTS -- Mini WSM -- 18-1/2" WSM -- 1997 Blue OTG -- 2014 Jumbo Joe / WSM

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 10:51:48 AM »
My IMUSA pot fits perfectly, never an issue. IMUSA actually sold numerous pots, so its a matter of getign the one tht fits.   The new Jumbo Joes are quite ugly. (In my opinion)
The older ones are highly desiarable. Mine works great for camping or even when I want to do a small cook out front.  8)

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 12:29:59 PM »
Mine works great for camping or even when I want to do a small cook out front.  8)
Hillbillies!  ::)

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 02:19:55 PM »
Yep, gotta keep an eye on my truck.. Darn younguns like to steal that kitkat coverter thingy from right offta the lawn.. Besides, my hammock is better with a southern exposure..  Whats a hillbilly?  8)

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 08:09:05 PM »
Maybe the new jumbo Joe its a better option....If you could find an old jumbo it would even be better.  The new one would serve you well too...it is much more practical than the Smokey Joe.  Just a better overall option....

Sent from my XOOM 2 using Tapatalk 2

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X