Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thermoworks SIGNALS - 4 probes + WiFi + BT  (Read 1719 times)

Troy

• Statesman
Thermoworks SIGNALS - 4 probes + WiFi + BT
« on: October 30, 2018, 03:20:39 AM »
I've been playing with it for a week (that's what she said)
It's pretty nice! It comes in so many pretty colors!!!

I put up a Thermoworks Signals Review and I made a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNI6jvoIgGw

If you buy a Signals through the WKC affiliate link, the WKC will earn a small commission. Thank you for your support.
http://weberkettleclub.com/recommends/thermoworks-signals/

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Thermoworks SIGNALS - 4 probes + WiFi + BT
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 03:34:49 AM »
Cool video @Troy thanks, I will be adding the Signals to the arsenal and give 1 of my smoke's to Tami for the kitchen
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 05:30:47 AM »
Excellent review Troy. This is the first thermometer I’ve seen yet that has all the features I would want. That’s primarily the reason I’ve never purchased any real thermo.

I really like that you can use it independently and not needing the app.  The WiFi ability is another huge feature to me. I know how my stuff runs and I don’t need the WiFi but I do really want the WiFi just because I think it would be fun checking in on it while away.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 08:04:36 AM »
Great review.

There is a lot to like about the new Thermoworks Signals.

2 critical concerns I have of the unit:

First, 16 hours of battery life? Really? That means if you forget to charge it after a long cook or don't have an outlet for the the wall wort (or misplace it), you're SOL. Not digging that. If you're at a comp that doesn't have power hook ups, its essentially useful until its a paperweight. The Smoke is roughly 1800 hours on 2 batteries.

Second, the price point. Thermoworks stuff is top notch. No doubt. I love my Smoke. But coming in at $230? Not quite sure who they are targeting here? Maybe the WiFi/Bluetooth crowd? I feel like they are playing catch-up with Maverick XR-50. Most people that wanted 4 probes already bought one...for $90. At nearly 2.5x the price...the Signals will probably be a pass/slow mover for most prospective thermometer buyers.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 10:07:42 AM »
So I have been eyeballing the  Mav XR 50 for the last couple days. I was hoping to see if this Signals was coming anytime soon. Well it’s here and I think I’m going to get the Mav. Signals is way too pricey for my liking, and I don’t get the wi-fi aspect, it’s not like we’re going to start a cook and then take off to town to go shopping or go on vacation... so I guess what it’s good for is knowing when temp starts rising, you know that as you try and race home you’ll either have burnt meat or a house fire... Thermoworks is great I’m sure, but this part time/ amateur griller will save the $100 plus dollars and splurge on more meat. Not knockin’ anyones choice or opinion, this is just mine.

CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 11:00:31 AM »
So I have been eyeballing the  Mav XR 50 for the last couple days. I was hoping to see if this Signals was coming anytime soon. Well it’s here and I think I’m going to get the Mav. Signals is way too pricey for my liking, and I don’t get the wi-fi aspect, it’s not like we’re going to start a cook and then take off to town to go shopping or go on vacation... so I guess what it’s good for is knowing when temp starts rising, you know that as you try and race home you’ll either have burnt meat or a house fire... Thermoworks is great I’m sure, but this part time/ amateur griller will save the $100 plus dollars and splurge on more meat. Not knockin’ anyones choice or opinion, this is just mine.

I would love to know how you like the XR 50 when you end up getting it!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 11:18:29 AM »
@Troy , and my apologies, That was an excellent review, I always enjoy your videos.
@Firemunkee , I'm ordering it now, should have it by the weekend, how much "use" it will get then is up in the air... I have a home repair project looming but I want to at least use it to monitor temps at various heights in my 18" WSM, I have an "invention" that I;m doing some R&D on....shhhhh
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 11:24:00 AM »
Slick review as always - cheers Troy!

Always love the screen plastic removal ;)

@varekai We sell the XR50 here at the store and I'm quite impressed with the build quality. If you don't need the WiFi capability of the Signals unit it would be a great alternate option for most - especially considering the price point. I currently own the Thermoworks Smoke and love it, but have also owned multiple Maverick units in the past and they all performed very well. Don't think you can really go wrong with either [emoji106]
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 11:51:04 AM »
@SixZeroFour , I just purchased the XR50, I am excited to put it to use.  I have 3 of the Maverick ET-732 that I bought because of you's guys here, 2 in use, 1 in box and I also purchased 2 more for each of my daughters. And I have had zero problems. Hoping the Signals will come down in price just on general principal, but we'll see. When your're a top manufacturer you can fetch a little more green for your goods...LOL

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 01:33:55 PM »
wow.  Way too rich for my blood.  Thats more than twice what I'm comfortable paying for most kettles!

Other than the quick response time I'm not seeing much about this to sway me.  (And even in the video you can see it responds quick, but tough to tell how long for it to settle in to an exact temp....either that or two different probes in the kettle were reading vastly different temps, and didnt settle down to an ambient temp all too quickly either). 

I suppose the wifi is nice, but not if you cant turn bluetooth off and still have to deal with connecting/disconnecting all the time.  (whats next a video camera so you can watch your food burn or undercook from miles away and still have no way to correct the problem?)

I have to wonder if some other brand came out with the same thing (same level of accuracy, same features etc) at this price point, would any of those who seem interested still be interested?

Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 01:37:38 PM »

I do leave the kettle or wsm frequently and most of a day.  They work so well I really don’t need a thermometer but it would be nice.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 02:39:35 PM »
@HoosierKettle , i totally get what your saying,  allow me to back pedal a bit. All I'm saying is that the wi-fi is informational only.. now if we had wi-fi enabled dampers and automatic coal feeders, wi-fi would be awesome, just that by the time the changes are happening, it's probably too late if you're not close by. The kettles and WSM's really are almost set it and forget it, but if the wi-fi is whats adding a $100 to the price, not so much worth it...

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 03:15:22 PM »
I love my Green Smoke. I do have few other ones I can use if I need to use more probes or running 2 cookers. But, if I had nothing.... I would buy the Signals on sale.  Wifi is a nice feature to have.

jp217p

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2018, 03:41:56 PM »
I really wish they would've introduced a radio receiver like the smoke with the ability to edit parameters on the receiver. Also the ability add wifi like you can on the smoke. The smoke is solid, just missing two more probes for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

GrillGiant

• WKC Brave
    • GrillGiant
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2018, 05:28:24 PM »
Nice brother!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grill on! and Go CUBBIES!!!