Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: $5 Outrider while at the beach  (Read 1401 times)

Cellar2ful

$5 Outrider while at the beach
« on: October 19, 2018, 09:21:51 AM »

We rented a beach house this past weekend in Aptos, California. This has become an annual event in October for my family.  My two sisters and I get together, celebrating one of my sisters birthday.  The house is literally on the beach and comes with a Weber kettle.  Driving to the house, I picked up a WW on the way I had secured at the request of WKC member @CyberCat62 . Then while at the house,  I couldn't resist checking the local CL adds.  This resulted in a $5 Outrider also riding home in the back of my truck with the WW. 

The previous weekend, the WKC Beach Gathering was held just down the beach from this rental house.  That weekend, we did not see a single whale.  This weekend was different. A pod of whales had moved back in and where lunge feeding right off the beach.  Seeing some whale activity, I grabbed my wife's Ipad and captured a couple of images of the Outrider.  My regret is that I did not use my Sony camera as the photos are not the quality I am use to.

In the background, slightly above and to the left of the lid handle, you can see a whale spout.

This one I caught the whale out of the water lunge feeding.

Of course I did fire up the Weber all three nights we were there. Only took photos of one of the cooks. Here's a couple of of turtles as @JEBIV would say. Tri-tips to the rest of us.

The sunsets in October are always amazing.

And of course what would it be without a beach campfire and s'mores.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 09:30:54 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
Re: $5 Outrider while at the beach
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 05:05:57 PM »
Great post.  Too bad everyone else does not appreciate it for all that its worth.  Enjoy the memories of a great trip.

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 06:16:26 PM »
Like that cooking grate. Have one just like it. Use it all the time, it is my everyday cooker. Light weight easy to clean. Spins good. Enough room for my cooks. Think I will get rid of all my fancy grates.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 06:44:55 PM »
Sweet outrider! Looks like an awesome outing too.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 09:36:38 AM »
@Cellar2ful this beautiful post screams everything, nature,friends,food,weber. many of the same things that makes this forum so special thanks Jim
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 05:49:33 PM »
That sounds like a wonderful weekend. I am officially jealous!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 06:22:05 AM »
Great trip. Way to do it! My wife and I and another couple rent a cottage twice a year on the water at Indian River Inlet, Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. Awesome. Food. Wine. Water view. Friends. Life is good.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 05:56:08 PM »
You're living right, Jim. Great story, pictures, and kettle score.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 05:53:57 AM »
Oh man what a great post.  Made me smile, thanks!   
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Mrnomad

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 07:30:11 AM »
This is great and the tri-tip look perfect! Aptos is a great town.
11 kettles, 2 WSMs, and 1 lonely gas grill!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 03:59:38 PM »
Makes my heart all warm and fuzzy. ;D ;D  Enjoying great setting and food with ones you love with a $5 kettle. What more can you ask.