Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I no longer want an ash can, slide-aside, thermometer, chimney, work table ...  (Read 4279 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Last week I let a Craigslist $45 black SS Performer go because I'd just picked up an unused  $15 wood-handle SJ, charcoal holders, paraffin and other trinkets for my OTS and was feeling too giddy. Amateur, I know. The SS didn't seem like gas-assist? (Just trying to make myself feel better here.)

My recently discovered burn marks on my deck, considerations of mats and so forth got me thinking again about a Performer, especially since I knew I'd be angling for many of the accessories it already comes with + a table anyway.

This one below had been on Craigslist at $225, disappeared and just reappeared for $180 OBO. I asked my dad if he was interested in giving me an early Father's Day/Birthday gift and he was. Mine for $150, not bad for a $350 machine with all the goodies including proper hinged grill and charcoal holders. The kettle and lid appear mint.

The guy said he'd bought it new and only had it "about" a year but there's some leeway in that claim. It's a DO (2005). Dude was downsizing but likes his BBQ. He'd just bought a new OTG 18.5". And he had an older SJ and a Brinkmann smoker.

Other than a few scuffs on the wheels it seems excellent. Well, it does need a new caster wheel; one wheel's lock lever snapped off as he tried to unlock it. The protector is still on the tank feed nipple -- he's only ever used lighter fluid, never propane.

I got a small propane tank and generic cover tossed in the deal. The cover still looks like hell fresh out of the washing machine even with some bleach added. If the dryer (set to "delicate") doesn't kill it it'll be a decent temporary cover.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Before I could go get it, another Performer showed up on Craigslist for $125 and he said I could have it for $100. Dad had given me $200 and then I let the other shoe fall.

"You know, for another $50 I can pick them BOTH up, and deliver one to you."
"YES!"

So here's the second one, also picked up today:

It's an O (1992).

And ... there are some issues. The kettle and lid appear to be fine, with some small dents and one small area about 1" with paint gone (but no rust there). It needs a new cooking grill (the center has disappeared into thin sticks! The old charcoal holders look really iffy (but I have new ones already) and I haven't looked at the bottom grate.

Also, it needs the One Touch lever and inside sweeps all replaced, and likely the support bar that ties all that to the ash can holder, which seems hanging on by only 2 of 3 points.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MartyG

• WKC Performer
We should call you Stevie Ray Vaughn - cause that's Double Trouble if I ever saw it. Great work picking up two desirable Performers, but don't think you'll stop looking now. There's always a "better" one out there.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
You should know something about my dad's house. It originally had a long, narrow deck on one side. From the kitchen he'd go through an adjacent room that led to the deck, where he kept his '70s 18.5" Bar-B-Kettle.

Not a big deal, but the deck got replaced by a studio and so the Weber went down next to the garage, and that meant a long trek and cooking under another deck and just a pain in the ass. He probably hasn't BBQed in a few years.

He's got another deck on the other side of the house for all some years they had a sandbox for my kids there and some other junk. Today I sez, "Dad, put the grill there, it's a shorter walk from the kitchen anyway."

So he's excited about "his new grill" and new grill location has been texting me about it ... he'll get the green one, mostly 'cause it should be ready to go right now, and mostly 'cause I really want the older red one, haw!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
... don't think you'll stop looking now. There's always a "better" one out there.

I'm sure I can't know what you mean.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Double trouble for sure! Both kettles I'd love to add to my collection! Congrats! My redhead is in poorer shape than that one and she works great, had to swap a one touch system and grates in mine too. You got the weberitis bad haha happy Father's Day to you gentlemen!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
Looks like a lot of Father and Son bonding in your future.. Maybe some grandfather grandkids too!
Love them both, you will be very happy.
If you have a  Home Depot near by, you can find the casters in a 2 pack for aorund $5.
As for the other parts, we have more Perfomer Rebuilds than any other site! Just ask, we'll be glad to help.
Enjoy! AJ  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

etruax

• WKC Brave
I only have an SS performer and it is interesting to see that the newer model has a taller workspace.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
The taller "deck" seems more comfortable to me; I'm 5'10". I can imagine tall guys wouldn't enjoy the SS unless for retro-appearance sake.

Not a fan of these '05 and the current Performer blah wheels. If they ever "upgrade" the One Touch line away from the iconic whitewalls, The Terrorists Win.

The new-style side-access charcoal bin might be better because it's angled a little, but having walk around to get at it wouldn't be ... #firstworldproblems.

What I like about the SS (apart from how it looks and SS table) is the wheelbarrow handles and top-access for gas and igniter. The knob on the gas valve that's built into the new one is nice but having it and and igniter button down on the front means bending down to see or use it.

Similarly, the electronic control pad on the current model has the same ergonomic flaw. If the line survives the never-ending gas grill juggernaut I'd expect future Performers to have the controls angled up. It's just too obvious.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
What a day!  Nice work, Addict.  Those are two beautiful grills.  And I'm glad you're keeping the redhead close.  ;-)
One of the charcoal people.

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
Great job, great deals, and everyone is happy=a great day. 

Bman

• WKC Performer
Out-effin'-standing!  Guys will search years for both of those and you nabbed both in one day.
Damn, and I thought I was good.  lol.  Congrats on the Performers!
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
I've only been looking for the last week since joining up with you lot here. So I figured the stuff I've been seeing is due to people upgrading as summer gets going, or maybe the milder ATL weather preserves outdoor stuff longer.

I've seen a few OTS 22's like mine (about 10 years old) for less than $50; but there have been several decent Weber gassers for less than that -- I almost switched to gas. Like this one, it's not a huge grill but has more outriggers and stuff hanging off of it than I normally see: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/for/3844962282.html

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
One day I'll look for an old gasser like in that link above to get the frame and turn into a matching table. But right now my wife is already to commit me.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Those are days that only come along once in a blue moon , without this place there would be nobody to share the jubilation with . Congrats on 2 great grills.

Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs