Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SSP Ash Sweeps  (Read 3120 times)

LowandSlow

• Smokey Joe
Re: SSP Ash Sweeps
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 06:35:59 PM »
I had to remove the old ring because the ash pot was gone,and the new ash pot won't fit the old ring  . The nut was totally rusted on, so the bar had to come out.
New ash ring and pot works well once I screwed the new tabs to the legs per the old post about doing this.

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 04:04:29 AM »
I don't think I'll have time to mess with mine again until Sunday.  I'm hoping to get it on there.  If I can't push through without messing up anything, I'll just use the inverted crossbar method or buy a new ring and fasten that somehow.  Still frustrated that I caused a porcelain pop from flexing the bowl...

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 04:57:08 AM »
 @jaynik
not sure what bar bent for you...there should be any issue with parts bending during removal..bc you are replacing with new ash sweep.

regarding installing new modded ash sweep..did you file both sides of the ash sweep holes where the vent control bar inserts...both holes need to be filed and if you have problems inserting..ensure you have the vent bar properly aligned when inserting.

there is a small male notch on the vent bar...mate correctly with the holes.

if you did all the above and still have assembly problems...file the hole bigger vertically...

ive modded several with no issues
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 06:59:48 AM by toolhead »
Grills

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2018, 02:17:54 AM »
Thanks @toolhead .  I definitely agree that the bar shouldn't have bent, but without realizing that I'd reuse it, I bent it during the process of cutting off the sweep control arm which was rusted together.  I think I'll be able to make it work when I have some time tomorrow.  I think the cross bar is likely just bent down a little bit and interfering with where the control arm enters the receiver.  I like the idea of filing the hole if it's troublesome.  I'll follow up once I get to the end of this journey!  :-)

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2018, 03:37:03 AM »
@ jaynik if you want.... pm me and i can send you clear pics of the profile of the ash bar..

else...sounds like you just need to hammer level the center section of the ash bar flat....a hammer will work nicely.

i fabbed a few so i have clear pics that i can email u so you can reshape the bar back to original condition....the ends probably drooped a bit and you may want to bend it back prior to reassembly

if you are somewhat handy and have a few tools around you can fab an aluminum ash bar to replace the original.

hdepot sells the aluminum stock which cost around 8 bucks and u can make at least 2 maybe 3 ash bars..i forget been a while.

took me an afternoon to make 2 of the bars with diy tools i had layong around.

gonna need a hole saw bit for center hole
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 03:45:05 AM by toolhead »
Grills