Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Controlling Heat with open grill  (Read 662 times)

E.KS

• Happy Cooker
Controlling Heat with open grill
« on: September 27, 2018, 08:43:40 AM »
A couple nights ago I grilled a bunch of chicken thighs for a family gathering on my 26 inch Kettle. I know grilling with the lid on is preferred for controlling heat; however, I find it impractical with some foods. In this instance a grill filled with chicken thighs takes a lot of lid-off time to turn and baste them as they grill. I usually use a 2-zone fire. In this instance I had a nice bed of coals spread over 2/3 of the grill and 1/3 indirect.

Here's the question: How do you all prepare charcoal and control heat when you grill with the lid off? I had approximately 1 1/2 chimneys of lit coals spread over 2/3 of my 26 the other night and they "went to town" I had the bottom vent closed to eliminate at least some draft. They burned so hot I ended up doing most of my grilling over the 1/3 indirect zone. Does any one have a recipe for success that allows a good 100% direct grilling setup without too much heat or too little? I usually like to start conservatively and add coals as needed - but dumping a few coals in thorugh the flip-up grate is imperfect tho better than nothing. Does humidity make a big difference on burn rates? Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.
2 22 inch & 1 26 inch kettle

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Controlling Heat with open grill
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 10:45:41 AM »
Welcome. I like your style but thighs require indirect and sear before or after. Use a two zone and less coal if no lid is desired.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
Re: Controlling Heat with open grill
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 03:09:34 PM »
Another idea is to spread the coals out in more of a “c” pattern up against one side.  I’m thinking more coals around than under.  Another idea...foil them when close to done so they stay hot and don’t dry out?

Obviously 100% guarantees cannot be made.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
Re: Controlling Heat with open grill
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 09:23:43 PM »
I set the grill up just as you did.  Lift lid, start placing chicken.  If flames start, put lid on for a minute then pull lid and put the rest of the chicken on.   When it comes time to flip, do the same thing.  Start flipping until flames begin to rise, put lid back on to extinguish, then lift lid and flip the rest.    I use the same method on my ranch kettle as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk