Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How do you free up stuck legs?  (Read 1095 times)

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
How do you free up stuck legs?
« on: September 23, 2018, 04:33:11 AM »
I have a WW and  I have been trying to remove the
legs but two of them simply will not budge.  Advice???

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Re: How do you free up stuck legs?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 04:55:02 AM »
A generous dose of PB Blaster, let it soak, then a tap (or 12) with a rubber mallet. Keep at it... be patient.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 04:56:48 AM by hawgheaven »
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 05:03:36 AM »
Not sure bout the rubber mallet (I’d fear for the porcelain’s health), but PB Blaster is the best.  I usually spray with penetrating oil, let soak, and try to twist the legs while pulling them.  Usually put down cardboard so I can set kettle low and use my feet to hold kettle from movement. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 05:34:52 AM »
After you spray with some kind of penetrating oil let it sit for a day or two and reapply a couple drops here & there, so it can soak in as much as possible and hopefully loosen the gunk. When you think the oils penetrated thoroughly try to wiggle each leg around in circles while simultaneously twisting the leg to the left & right all the while trying to pull it out of the socket.

Just be carefull not to bend or stretch the metal around the socket because that could deform the bowl and/or break the welds and porcelain.

If you have a heat gun or a propane torch you can mildly and slowly heat the socket (but not the leg or bowl) so it expands and loosens its grip on the leg. When the oil smokes and you can hardly stand to breath...the socket should be hot enough.

You might need someone to hold the bowl so it dont move around while you twist & pull the legs.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 07:53:32 AM »
Not sure bout the rubber mallet (I’d fear for the porcelain’s health), but PB Blaster is the best.  I usually spray with penetrating oil, let soak, and try to twist the legs while pulling them.  Usually put down cardboard so I can set kettle low and use my feet to hold kettle from movement. 

My method is very similar to this except I’ll apply PB in heavy doses over 5-7 days. I have the time to be patient and ensure I’m not fucking up an old grill. It took a while for my thumbscrew redhead but eventually the legs came right out with minimal effort and no damage. I’d spray the sockets really heavy when I’d get home from work and left the kettle outside by my garage to not trap the fumes inside.

This also worked with the thumbscrews. I knew any amount of effort would break them off so I just kept spraying nightly until they broke free using a pair of pliers.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 08:36:26 AM »
Okay, well the RUBBER mallet I used did not affect the finish. I don't mean blast it full force, but just tap the legs and twist. Carefully. Soak. Try again. They will come out unscathed.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 01:48:19 PM »
Ok thanks.  I have been using PBB, on and off for a week.  I will keep trying.  I have been looking for an excuse to buy a torch, so now I have a reason. 

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 02:31:39 PM »
The torch remains undefeated around here.  I like to heat up and let cool down.  Do this a few times.  Then PB blast it again and hopefully you'll get a little movement. 
18" Middy & 26" Kettle, SnS, Summit S-620, Broilmaster D3CP

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 05:51:27 PM »
This thread is how I got a leg out of my MBH resto solved.  Blow torch....I am so grateful for this site.  Thank you.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

FatBottomGrills

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 08:50:43 AM »
Echoing what others have said, but what has worked really well for me...dawn dish soap lol. After hitting it with penetrating oil let some dish soap work it's way into the socket. I add some water to it as well occasionally if it's really rusted and corroded. When all else fails. Torch

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 09:39:12 AM »
Pb Blaster and patience

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 09:57:30 AM »
Pb or Kroil + patience

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2021, 02:03:30 AM »
Spray some PB (like everyone says) and I just sort of wiggle them little by little while pulling up. You may hear a little crunching but thats the rust/and/or dirt coming loose. Sooner or later they come loose.
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ