Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: ISO opinions  (Read 1541 times)

Rondo

• WKC Brave
ISO opinions
« on: September 16, 2018, 09:53:26 AM »
I have had an older Weber gasser. Got rid of it and went straight charcoal, thinking about getting a gasser again. Get tired of replacing flavorizor bars and stuff. Thought about a Weber q, I have seen some of the older ones for cheap. What is a good one to get that will hold up and last? Genesis or what? Just an opinion of what some of your favorites are and why. Thanks in advance

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: ISO opinions
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 10:04:24 AM »
Q grills are great gassers. I have been very happy using any of the three sizes for burgers, steaks, chicken, etc. They are really easy to maintain.
I don't care for the Spirit line.
I have not been thrilled with any of the "north/South" versions of the Genesis grills. I love my 13 bar Genesis with SS bars from RCplanebuyer.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 11:58:40 AM »
Have no clue about gassers and actually don't want to have any clue but need one for my DOs (I'm sick of the ash and so on). So for me it's just getting some heat, nothing else. @vwengguy brought me some time ago to get a Ducane. It's (was) Weber owned brand with very good quality at half a price of Weber stuff. Sorry to not  write about Q but maybe you might want to look to a gasser from Ducane.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 02:48:32 PM »
I like the older Genesis with double SS flavorizer bars and grates.
Great cookers with super even heat.
Plus the wood looks really nice when it is replaced.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 04:04:50 PM »
You can't go wrong with a Q, or a Gennie.  Both are great.  Spirits are ok also if you can score one really cheap.  Otherwise pass. 

Poorfolks

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 06:06:52 PM »
Bought a new Q when they came out in '03 used it 12 or 13 years and sold it for the same price (msrp) I bought it for. Also bought a new Q 1200 and a Q3200. Fantastic grills with CI grates.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 07:51:38 PM »
I like Poorfolks, bought a Baby Q when they first came out in 2003.  I still have it and my wife uses it all the time for grilling vegetables (zucchini, carrots, corn).  Before I retired, I used it quite frequently.    Only thing I have had to replace is the burner tube and that was only once in 15 years.  Weber changed the name several times from Baby Q to Q 100 to now the Q 1000.  It is a perfect size for a couple and can actually handle grilling for 4 people.  The only thing is it does have hot and cold areas on the grill. I assume it is because of the burner tube design. Once you get to know the zones, it is a great grill.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 07:55:52 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Rondo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 04:40:54 AM »
I saw one for sale this weekend. Genesis with the plastic side shelf that flips down. Has the knobs on the right with the push button igniter. $25. Says it works just needs a propane tank. I had one like it before and wasn't crazy about it.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 08:14:14 PM »
I saw one for sale this weekend. Genesis with the plastic side shelf that flips down. Has the knobs on the right with the push button igniter. $25. Says it works just needs a propane tank. I had one like it before and wasn't crazy about it.

What didn't you like about it ?  I've had two Genny Gold C's since 2004  (3 burners with side burner and flip up tables.)  Amazingly nice grills to cook on.   For Flavorizer bars, invest the money on a set of bars from RCPlanebuyer on Ebay.  his are thicker gauge 304 stainless and they last a long time.  I have 2 sets that are at least 8 years old.

Rondo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 11:48:32 AM »
It was a long time ago I don't remember for sure but knowing about the flavorizor bars and stuff is helpful if I decide to go that route again

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 12:24:29 PM »
The only good gasser is one you have finally gotten rid of. Just kidding kind of

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 10:33:32 AM »
Being a charcoal guy, I picked up a few Gassers for the fun of it.  Its been real fun tearing them down, doing the surgical clean, getting new parts and making the great again!!! 

I have 42 Webers in total and 7 of them are now gassers.  all functioning and one that is in the throws of being resurrected.   Its fun to just toss a few proteins on the CI grates and grill it up...   Don't get me wrong.... My 22's are my goto kettles.  Just the gasser is great for cooking quick.   I have been "braising" my chuckies in  foiled hotel pans on the Genny's.

Just sayin'...

Grill on fellas.. grill on...

J
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

Poorfolks

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 03:33:25 PM »
  The only thing is it does have hot and cold areas on the grill. I assume it is because of the burner tube design. Once you get to know the zones, it is a great grill.
My main gasser is a q3200 and 2 zone with smoke is easy. I started in '03 smoking on Qs by taking a beer can and cutting it about 1/2 inch taller than the distance from the burner tube to the bottom of the grate. Fill with wood chips and cover with aluminum foil with a few holes in the foil and place on burner and lower the grate on it. Works perfect.
 Q 100 same thing but don't discard the old used weber drip pan and use that for smoke.
2 zone is simple. Aluminim foil wrapped tightly on trailing sides (cold side) of burner tube. Make sure grates are not touching each other and cook away!