Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Observations on accessories, right or wrong...  (Read 1262 times)

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
Observations on accessories, right or wrong...
« on: September 13, 2018, 11:19:11 AM »
So the thread about the slow and sear is it necessary had me thinking. I have spent a reasonable amount of grilling accessories, and had more than a few gifted to me, some work great, some are utter garbage, some, are really nice but other than prestige don't do much for me. So what have I found that helps me with my cook?

Weber 22.5" kettle. I am listing this as an accessory because let's face it. I CAN grill with just an open fire and a grilling grate that I have a couple of for camping... The kettle makes things MUCH more controllable, and, well... nicer.

Weber kettle tool hangers. The 4 pronged hook things that hang over the lip of the bowl on your kettle. They REALLY help keep things like tongs close at hand when grilling.

Permanently mounted thermometers in the lid. I like putting them between the vent and the grate, gives me a much better idea of what temps the meat is subject to.

LONG stainless steel tongs. Don't mess with the flimsy ones, get good tongs, long ones unless you like barbecued knuckles...

Silicone basting brush. Perfect for applying mops without being a nightmare to clean up after.

Weber foil catch pans. Perfect for indirect cooks. The foil is super thin compared to the others on the market designed for lasagne and stuff, but then again, one time use and recycle so why pay more?

Stainless steel long handle spatula. I have had too many burgers fall apart using tongs... Spatula is perfect for that.

ProGrade WiFi proble thermometer. Want an easy way to keep tabs on your brisket smoke? This keeps you from having to actually go outside and physically check! Works great!

Folding aluminum camping table. Those small folding tables will hold big plates of meat ready to go on, or off the grill, some condiments etc...

Bristle less grill brush with scraper. No risk of bristles getting into your food, and they work great at cleaning your grates.

Long handled meat fork and carving knife. For slicing that brisket after it has rested...

Kingsford Charcoal Chimney.

Pampered Chef Grilling Tool set. Beautiful stainless steel skewers, pretty nice stainless tongs, a to die for stainless spatula (BBQ-Boss BBQ Multi Tool turner), etc... VERY high quality, good carry case, works great. THat multi tool spatula thing has a serrated knife edge that has literally been used for opening packages, cutting meat / prepping etc... Super useful for grilling on the go as it reduces what you need to carry with you...

What hasn't worked so well...

Weber Condiment shelf. Yeah, put the mustard, pickle relish, and mayo right next to the hot kettle what could go wrong? Good for salt and pepper, spices etc... in glass containers, but anything in plastic forget it...

Weber charcoal chimney. I know lots of folks here love them. I like a chimney that I can poke the nose of my BBQ lighter into the base of, the weber only has those skinny slots, and it drives me nuts... I just can't get used to those funny slots.

Expert Grill instant read digital thermometer. I used mine once, and it promptly died. Waste of time and money.

Weber scotch brite type pad style grill scrubber. The handle si not firmly attached to the scrubber pads, and slips around too much to be useful. The pads are no better, or worse than straight green scotch brite pads for scrubbing heavy buildups...

Any sort of lighter fluid, or lighter fluid embedded charcoal. Yes they get coals lit easily, but the flavor of lighter fluid gets into your food no matter what else you do. Use a charcoal chimney instead.
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Observations on accessories, right or wrong...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 11:28:45 AM »
Dude you lost me on the chimney.  Longest lasting chimney available at the normal stores. Mine is 10 years old with repairs.

I’ve used non Weber chimneys and they either hold less or aren’t made near as well

Just cut or drill a spot for the lighter. Should take less than 30 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 11:30:38 AM by HoosierKettle »

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
Re: Observations on accessories, right or wrong...
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 12:43:27 PM »
The Kingsford is almost an exact knockoff of the Weber.
Never had a problem getting a lighter in the slots of the Weber.
Of course all of my chimneys (5) are at least 4-6 years
old so they may have changed the slots.
Easier to find a skinny lighter.
I use a windproof gooseneck thing.
No idea what brand.  I'll look when I get home.

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 01:13:34 PM »
Dude you lost me on the chimney.  Longest lasting chimney available at the normal stores. Mine is 10 years old with repairs.

I’ve used non Weber chimneys and they either hold less or aren’t made near as well

I'm with ya on this one.  I've had a few non weber chimneys and they didnt even last me one season!  Other than that, I'm mostly agree with @dbhost.  It seems, at least for me, that the majority of the accessories I actually use are the simplest ones.  Like the weber tool  holder.  I'll add charcoal baskets and a flip up cooking grate to the list of what I consider useful/necessary accessories.  Cast iron as well (not necessarily weber CI, or even CI intended for the BBQ....but cast iron cookware in general gets used a lot at my house both outside and in the kitchen!)   A lot of the more gimmicky and/or expensive accessories hardly ever get used in my house; or get used once and tossed aside to be forgotten.  In my mind there is a third option of things like a rotisserie or the pizza kettle.  I do enjoy these even if I dont use them all that often.  But they really transform the whole cook/process into something different entirely so I dont know if "accessory" is the right term here!
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 01:34:28 PM »

That's seriously tempting. I've used the Weber chimneys a couple of times. Once you get the starter (I usually use newspaper, or empty charcoal bags) it does a good job, and yes is more durable than many (most) other charcoal chimneys.... I always hated the slot design... I might have to pick one up and poke a lighter hole in it... Seems crazy they didn't do that at the design phase of them...

My newest one is from maybe 3 months ago. My oldest I have had since 2010, and it stays outdoors year round ready to pour chacoal and paper in it....Holding up great!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 01:38:38 PM by dbhost »
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 01:36:34 PM »
The Kingsford is almost an exact knockoff of the Weber.
Never had a problem getting a lighter in the slots of the Weber.
Of course all of my chimneys (5) are at least 4-6 years
old so they may have changed the slots.
Easier to find a skinny lighter.
I use a windproof gooseneck thing.
No idea what brand.  I'll look when I get home.

Both of mine were labelled Kingsford, and look absolutely nothing like the Webers. Just a cylinder, with a handle / wooden grip and heat shield. The cylinder has the obligitory baffle, and the baffle and bottom are rife with what look to be 1/2" diameter holes just perfect for poking a long nose lighter through...

Did they / do they make different models? THe ones I have bought both came from HEB here in Texas..

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 01:37:40 PM »

I'm with ya on this one.  I've had a few non weber chimneys and they didnt even last me one season!  Other than that, I'm mostly agree with @dbhost.  It seems, at least for me, that the majority of the accessories I actually use are the simplest ones.  Like the weber tool  holder.  I'll add charcoal baskets and a flip up cooking grate to the list of what I consider useful/necessary accessories.  Cast iron as well (not necessarily weber CI, or even CI intended for the BBQ....but cast iron cookware in general gets used a lot at my house both outside and in the kitchen!)   A lot of the more gimmicky and/or expensive accessories hardly ever get used in my house; or get used once and tossed aside to be forgotten.  In my mind there is a third option of things like a rotisserie or the pizza kettle.  I do enjoy these even if I dont use them all that often.  But they really transform the whole cook/process into something different entirely so I dont know if "accessory" is the right term here!

Okay you got me on that one. I totally forgot about the flip up grates. I love mine... Make long cooks so much less of a hassle.

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 03:18:03 PM »
Condiment shelf is for beer

Sent from my VS987 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

pancho2017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 03:48:09 PM »
One thing I like is the BBQ Dragon side shelf, I bought two so as to have one on each side. Each has three hooks for hanging whatever needs to be hung and easy on and easy off when done. They fold up when not in use, I just put them inside the kettle when it's cooled off ready for next time.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 04:52:51 PM »
That is exactly why I told my wife I need more than one grill.
So I can put condiment shelf on nearby grill, that is not in use, to keep beer from getting warm.

Condiment shelf is for beer

Sent from my VS987 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
regards,
Hal

Poorfolks

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 05:08:18 PM »
I have never even thought of lighting through the slots?? I just pick it up and light the center of the paper with my zippo  then set it down. Oh I bought my weber chimney in '03 the bottom just loosened up recently.

Paul S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 08:50:31 PM »
ahh, so that's what the chimney slots fer!
I usually light a couple of weber wax cubes and layed the chimney over it.
The option I never knew about
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 08:53:45 PM by Paul S »
RetireCheapJC says: There's always an option.

dbhost

• WKC Brave