Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Do I need slow and sear if I own charcoal baskets?  (Read 3210 times)

JayyyR

• Smokey Joe
Re: Do I need slow and sear if I own charcoal baskets?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2018, 05:02:15 AM »
What a bunch of wussies. Throw that sum' bi*** on there caveman style if you want a real sear!

All jokes aside I agree with most here that the SNS is an unnecessary gadget ESPECIALLY for the price. If it was under 50 dollars then this convo would be a lot different.

Bakets work fine and if you need em closer to the coals for a better sear raise them on some bricks to get closer to the meat. I enjoy my SNS but it's not worth the price point IMHO. Our fathers and grandfathers turned out great stuff with just banked coals. Learn your cooker then supplement with tools and gadgets to possibly enhance your technique.

Just think of the massive USDA Prime packer brisket you can get for the price of an SNS. If I could do it again I would've taken the brisket.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2018, 07:29:36 AM »
My list is similar, but I'm a bit old school, so mine doesn't include any fancy temperature monitors or probes.  I did finally break down & use an old made in the USA meat probe thermometer that I probably found at a garage sale or thrift store.  Even then, I only really use that for a whole chicken or roast.  I also use crumpled up newspapers instead of lighter cubes.

I would also add a CHEAP pair of tongs that you NEVER even have to bother cleaning, leave them outside, & just use them for picking up any coals that try sneaking away from you. 

Also, if you can get a pair, the old wire baskets seem to let the ashes drop out more easily & are taller than the newer ones, so you can have the coals pretty much right under the grate.  I'll make Marty's bigger better basket from the newer ones, but I'll also keep my wire sets because of the differences.

The baskets work fine.  So far from what I can tell after using the SNS a couple of times the benefit is to keeping the coals o one side if you have a huge piece of brisket or other cut and you don't feel like rotating your grate when using the snake method.

The SnS is well built but I don't think think it's necessary unless you're really really looking for a new gadget to try out.

I'd rank these accessories as must haves over a SnS-
Dual probe remote thermometer. If you can get a Thermoworks smoke on clearance or open box for under $100 this is the one.  If on a budget Maverick 732.
Charcoal baskets.
Javelin Pro instant read thermometer (as good as a Thermapen for half the money)
A good griddle pan cast iron or other.
Flip up grates.
Chimney.
Weber lighter cubes
Heavy duty spatula for smash burgers.
Good set of tongs.
Industrial size roll of tin foil.
regards,
Hal

Paul S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2018, 07:58:16 AM »
lol,
I grilled for years without any added accessories, took me years to learn to keep hot coals on one side of the kettle, then I stumbled unto thinking of smoking ribs myself after reading how it's done. The rest is history and it's still being written as far as gadgets goes

the accessories for low and slow has become somewhat of a hobby. Needed, nah. Wants, yeah!
Retire Cheap in Thailand's(retireheapjc) motto always comes to mind: Remember, There's always an option!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 11:05:05 AM by Paul S »
RetireCheapJC says: There's always an option.

Poorfolks

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2018, 08:43:12 AM »
What a bunch of wussies. Throw that sum' bi*** on there caveman style if you want a real sear!

All jokes aside I agree with most here that the SNS is an unnecessary gadget ESPECIALLY for the price. If it was under 50 dollars then this convo would be a lot different.

Bakets work fine and if you need em closer to the coals for a better sear raise them on some bricks to get closer to the meat. I enjoy my SNS but it's not worth the price point IMHO. Our fathers and grandfathers turned out great stuff with just banked coals. Learn your cooker then supplement with tools and gadgets to possibly enhance your technique.

Just think of the massive USDA Prime packer brisket you can get for the price of an SNS. If I could do it again I would've taken the brisket.

This^

Poorfolks

• WKC Brave

Paul S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2018, 08:55:43 AM »
 Correction made. Sorry.
This is getting interesting, there's a Slow n Sear youtube video of a side-by-side test between a Weber Kettle w/SlowNsear vs. the snake method, pit longevity. Also another youtube video on the Kamado vs Kettle w/sns, searing of Steaks and pit high temp. I read Kamado's cooked the best steaks and the high temp it creates for it.
Do you need a komado or can you get by with a Kettle w/sns, Maybe you don't need either, depending your needs or no needs?

Remember, there's always an Option!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 09:12:17 AM by Paul S »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2018, 09:10:41 AM »
Need should be taken out of this discussion.  No, you don't need the SnS to reverse sear.  All you need is a low temp zone to get the IT to 10 minus your desired temp then you need a raging hot fire to sear the shit out of it.  Works best with steaks 1.5" thick or thicker.

If I were to spend money to reverse sear I would buy two used cheap Charcoal Go-Anywhere grills.  Set one up with 15 briquettes and cook the steak indirect.  Set the other up with a full mini chimney for the sear.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2018, 09:11:00 AM »
I “need” a camp chef flat top. How’s that for a hijack.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Paul S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2018, 09:14:44 AM »
hmmmm, yeah. maybe it's a sns vs. charcoal basket(s) for reverse searing.

Remember there's Always an Option.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 09:44:50 AM by Paul S »

Poorfolks

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2018, 10:22:33 AM »
Need should be taken out of this discussion.  No, you don't need the SnS to reverse sear.  All you need is a low temp zone to get the IT to 10 minus your desired temp then you need a raging hot fire to sear the shit out of it.  Works best with steaks 1.5" thick or thicker.

If I were to spend money to reverse sear I would buy two used cheap Charcoal Go-Anywhere grills.  Set one up with 15 briquettes and cook the steak indirect.  Set the other up with a full mini chimney for the sear.
Or 1 CGA with a 2 piece cook grate. After dumping the 15 start a another and when its ready dump on the other side and add 2nd grate. Coool (hot) huh?

Paul S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2018, 10:48:33 AM »
my 18" kettle didn't come with charcoal bins and I got by fine searing steaks so... and the bins are fine

Remember there's always an Option!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 12:26:33 PM by Paul S »

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2018, 12:49:44 PM »
Slow N Sear isn't "needed" for anything. You can do the same thing with banking / catch pan with water. Now is the SNS a wonderful piece of kit? You bet. But it isn't necessary...

What do you need? Charcoal, a way to light it, a grate, and a way to hold it up... Everthing else is just gravy. Nice gravy, but gravy... Makes it easier, but not necessarily what you need to make it possible...

I've done reverse sear on a campfire grate over a hardwood (apple) camp fire... Fantastic steaks... Yes a kettle with a SNS would have made it easier, and more controllable...
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2018, 01:59:11 PM »
It’s an American made luxury accessory for a kettle. Nothing wrong with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2018, 05:33:29 PM »
I just want to try a reverse seat for a Rib eye, and as I look it up on YouTube, all I see is this slow and sear. After spending $ for a table and new grates, and charcoal, I want to just grill. The idea seems easy enough, the baskets seem like they are made for what the SAS is offering.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
You do not need a Slow & sear.  It is one of those things that just work great for their purpose.

KettleMaster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2018, 05:59:18 PM »
SnS not needed at all...lots of good options that get the job done:Stock Charcoal baskets,Banked coals to one side etc...or just dump a full hot chimmney to one side and you have a great hot searing zone! Lots of excellent videos on this subject on youtube.Save your $$ for good cuts of meat & enjoy;

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app