Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Which To Buy?  (Read 1954 times)

CeramicChef

• Happy Cooker
Which To Buy?
« on: May 30, 2013, 12:47:43 PM »
Friends, I need your opinions and expertise.

I'm thinking of starting a business that will require a Weber Kettle of some shape, form, or fashion. I need this Weber to be either the 22 or 26 inch model. The 22 seems to be the standard model and  seems to fill most needs. However, I'm a firm believer that size matters; it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and can't get it. Occasionally I'll be looking to do multiple butts, turkeys, etc. Thus my interest in the 26. Will the 22 fill the bill?

Next, I'd like to have a work surface so table surfaces like on the Performer Series would be nice. I'm not certain if the 26 is an available option in the Performer Series; all I've ever seen is the 22 in the Performer Series. I don't need all the bells and whistles of the Performer Platinum, the Gold would do just fine. In fact, if there are other work surface options, the OTG Weber Kettles would do just fine from what I've seen.

I understand that the OTG series is a heckuva deal and is going to be readily available. There are a ton of accessories for the OTG series. Does that mean all accessories are available for both the 22 and the 26?

Price really isn't a factor. These Kettles are very well made and last for decades with even a minimum of maintenance. What about operating costs? Is the 26 a charcoal hog compared to the 22?  What else should I consider in choosing between the 22 and the 26 kettles?

I hate to sound like a babe in the woods, but the dealers I've dealt with don't know their product and product line very well. Thanks in advance for your input!

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
Re: Which To Buy?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 01:11:56 PM »
Wow, so many questions there. We would need a lot more info to give a confident recommendation, but if this is a commercial venture where you're looking to do a large quantity of que then you should probably rule the 22"s out. They're great, but the size is about right for your average family, not a commercial endeavor. I would look to at least a 26" but more likely the Ranch model. You did say cost doesn't matter, right? Alternately, the 22" WSMs are fantastic for high volumes of low & slow (they have two food grates).

To answer a few of your specific questions, some accessories fit both the 22s & 26s, but not all. All the sizes work the same way, but the larger sizes will require more fuel. Whichever model you go with, you will want to plan a few cooks to figure it out, so to speak.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 01:26:36 PM »
Good guidance, CBPeck. I think you need to answer the following questions for us too:

Does the bbq need to be mobile or transported alot?
Will you need to prepare a massive amount of food at once or a few servings at a time for the entire day?
Will there be always someone tending to the bbq?
What is the maximum capacity you will need both for direct and low & slow?
What other cooking tools will you have at your disposal.

If the bbq wont be transported often, then you  a standard kettle and whatever table you put next to it might be most suitable. A performer and a Ranch are also harder to transport because of the frame but perhaps you have a trailer? A 26" will be nice if you are doing medium turnover direct grilling. It also gives you more space to do heat zones if needed. A 22" can get tight quickly, whereas a ranch is huge but good for mass quantities of food. If you want to do low and slow often, a WSM will get you the most capacity. For example, you can fit 4-6 butts in an 18" and more in a 22" without modifications.

If price isn't an issue then a combination of WSM and 26" kettle may be your best best. If you are handy or are willing to pay, you can rig together a worksurface that will fit your needs exactly. Check out this thread for ideas: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/wooden-weber-sidekick-table/

You can also try experimenting with the setup. 22" Kettles can be had for a few bucks on CL all day, and the 26" and WSM hold their value pretty decently should you decide its not for you.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 01:30:44 PM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 01:28:10 PM »
Sounds like you'll be hauling whatever Kettle(s) you end up with around a lot. You might be thinking about durability with the kind of miles you'll be putting in. Not to mention the loading/unloading. And don't forget work-tables, storage and such. I have a SS Performer, but honestly a 26 with a larger rolling table (I'm making one now out of an old gasser frame) would work even better for most thing I do. Are you flying solo, or will there be extra hands? My short answer is that if you are going into business, you will likely find a use for nearly every Kettle Weber makes. Why not build up an arsenal of every size via CL on the cheap, and replace with new when you figure it out?

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 06:54:34 PM »
Occasionally I'll be looking to do multiple butts, turkeys, etc.

WSM for me.  Buckie is king of firing up a shit load of kettles, but I've had 8 pork butts on the 22 WSM at one time.

Just buy one of each that Weber offers ---- you'll wind up with them anyway...
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 07:04:07 PM »
Most folks around here (Atlanta GA) who own a BGE also have a Weber.  They use the Egg for certians things and the Weber for other things.  Maybe you will end up with a few of each.