Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Flank steak and chicken fajitas  (Read 855 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Flank steak and chicken fajitas
« on: August 19, 2018, 04:26:59 PM »
I did them a lot different this time. Normally I grill the meat then cut it up. This time I partially froze the steak and chicken and cut it up ahead of time. I also cut up all the veggies and seasoned everything. One thing I have been missing is that great caramelization that I get with restaurant fajitas.

I started off with jalapeño and tomato for a salsa. I then combined all the meat and veggies in the skillet. It started simmering and made a lot of its own juice. I knew I wouldn’t get the caramelization with all that liquid. I removed the grate and added coal to get the heat I needed to begin to cook down the liquid. This part took awhile. Oh the anticipation. Would I dry it out?  Would it burn?  After awhile the liquid started to reduce and things started to caramelize. This looked like it my be a success. I brought the pan inside two hot pads per handle. It was piping hot. My wife warmed some no preservative fresh tortillas. Those are great by the way. And served with my chipotle sour cream. It was very good.

Also I had a chunk of steak left to cook. I salt and peppered it and tested the carbon steel on the stove top. By far the best stove top steak I have ever made.

It was exciting. Smoke alarms going off and the wife getting mad that I’m continuing to cook something after we ate and was smoking her out of the house.  I didn’t know the carbon steel was going to be such an exciting piece of cookware lol. I will be getting more of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 04:30:25 PM by HoosierKettle »

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
Re: Flank steak and chicken fajitas
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 05:30:14 PM »
Very nice. What size is the skillet? And for perspective, is that on a 22 or 26?
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 05:33:57 PM »

Very nice. What size is the skillet? And for perspective, is that on a 22 or 26?

It’s a 15” on the 26. It’s a big skillet but the 26 makes it look small. Here is a picture on a normal stove burner for perspective.

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 05:42:39 PM »
Thanks. That does look fun -- and delish! And good tip on partially freezing before slicing.
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 02:59:57 AM »
Looks grate, absolutely had to laugh about the smoke detector, been there done that. You have motivated me to get out my carbon steel lodge for some playing around
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 08:10:57 AM »

Looks grate, absolutely had to laugh about the smoke detector, been there done that. You have motivated me to get out my carbon steel lodge for some playing around

With all the smoke it was like grilling inside. I went to rural king today to buy a 10” carbon steel. They were out. They are always out of the type of lodge cookware I’m looking for when I’m having a weak moment of self indulgence. It’s cruel.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 09:25:01 AM »
I know what i'm cooking for dinner tonight, yours looks so good!
May The Smoke Be With You!