Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Those attending Chicago meetup that pass through downtown or for locals  (Read 927 times)

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Unfortunately, I won't be going this year.

But, if you are going downtown for sightseeing, or whatnot, you might want to check out Peoria Meats.  They are a meat packing company on Lake St that is West of the "Loop" that also has a store across Lake St from the packing facility.  If you see Peoria Meats WITHOUT a parking lot in front, just look directly across Lake st for where to go.  Here's the current specials.  http://www.peoriapacking.com/specials  If you look at the bottom corner of the specials you will see buy 1  3.5 pound FROZEN pack of Italian, Brats, Polish, or Hot Links,for $7.99 & get one free (you can mix & match).  That is like $1.14/pound, INSANE! It's in the freezer case in the half of the store where you check out.  I've tried the mild Italian & the brats & like them.  I've even squeezed them out of the casings to "pre-cook" Italian sausage chunks in a fry pan for when I make pizza & there wasn't a lot of grease. 

The other half of the store is basically a HUGE walk in cooler where you have various cuts of various meats that you can choose & you can even have them cuts stuff up for you further.  This week has FRESH T-bones & NY Strip steaks for $3.99/lb.  85% lean FRESH ground Chuck for $2.69/lb.  I get a kick walking around this place. 

FYI- I don't particularly think the packaged stuff that they sell that is NOT theirs is particularly good pricing. 

It is safe to go to & has a parking lot, but I wouldn't walk around the immediate area (or West of there) at night.  Just a bit east of there has a lot more going on, especially on the street just a block south.  If you are coming from the west & not familiar with the area, you might want to stay on the highway & not drive the locals until you get close because west of there can be scary for those not used to it. 

I wish I knew about this place years ago, because I worked downtown for decades.
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Re: Those attending Chicago meetup that pass through downtown or for locals
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 05:23:39 PM »
Oh, yeah.  If you want to get a view from a tall building on the cheap, go to the John Hancock center & have a drink at the bar at the Signature Room (an expensive restaurant) on the 95th floor.  If memory serves, it is one floor up.  PARKING in the area is expensive though.
regards,
Hal

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 05:26:26 PM »
That entire area is perfectly safe, it’s kind of the new restaurant row and a hipster paradise.

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 07:30:15 PM »
Great place! another nice one is near the old Chicago stockyards http://www.parkpacking.com/ my Homebrew club gets a whole hog from them every year, good stuff.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 07:31:59 PM by DaveG74 »
I swear, when I score a great deal on a 26" I'll stop buying grills... So often.

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 05:59:55 AM »
You know what pisses me off?? There’s no Peoria meats in frickin Peoria!!  Wtf?!? Rat bastards.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 12:56:01 PM »
Thanks Dave, I'll have to check that one out. I've been in that neighborhood a lot, but never went there.

Great place! another nice one is near the old Chicago stockyards http://www.parkpacking.com/ my Homebrew club gets a whole hog from them every year, good stuff.
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 12:56:56 PM »
If it makes you feel any better, I believe they used to be on Peoria Ave & did not actually move from Peoria.

You know what pisses me off?? There’s no Peoria meats in frickin Peoria!!  Wtf?!? Rat bastards.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 01:04:39 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 01:30:47 PM »
Random pics are now showing up regularly from yesterdays & todays Chicago meetup, in the WKC " Meetups & Events," section.