Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: GBS why?  (Read 2425 times)

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
GBS why?
« on: August 09, 2018, 05:35:22 AM »
Saw the thread on making an expensive custom 18" GBS grate, which led me to the question I always have when I see a GBS grate.
Why? What's the point?
Can't I just place any of the fancy inserts on top of a regular grate?
Do people with a vortex find they need to add coals in the middle of a cook super often?
Just trying to figure out if there is really that much use to them.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 07:01:23 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
GBS why?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 08:01:26 AM »
Just saves the center of the grate and there are accessories and creative uses for the gbs that people like.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Re: GBS why?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 08:14:23 AM »
I understand that there are accessories, but it seems like you could use any of them just sitting on tope of an ordinary grate (except maybe the wok).  Even for the wok, you could pick up one of those steel collars that come with other woks, place that on the grate & your wok on that (although it would be farther away from the coals).

It doesn't seem like the center of the grate would really be saved very much.  The wear from using the accessories on a regular grate would seem fairly minimal unless you are using them all the time & even then, not really a big deal.

The GBS just seems like an overpriced gadget that really doesn't seem to accomplish very much, if anything, to me. 

I'm really curious to find out if people who use it find having an opening in the center is that big of a deal for anything they tend to use it for.  To me, it just seems like a way to spend money just to make sure a cast iron griddle, or whatever, is perfectly centered.
regards,
Hal

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 08:16:02 AM »
I really like the concept and will get one during the fall clearance.  Just wish they made them out of stainless steel.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 08:32:42 AM »
I have one on my performer and personally I find it a pain in the ass.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
GBS why?
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 08:48:34 AM »
I can’t say I care for it but then again I’m old fashioned and don’t see what’s so great about a hinges grate. The standard grates still have enough space to add coals by the handles. I’d like to see a heavy duty version standard grate.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 08:50:53 AM by HoosierKettle »

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 11:41:48 AM »
In the weights & measures thread, someone noted a GBS 22" grate weighed a bit more than a 26" grate, then went on to mention how thick & heavy they are.  That would seem to be one reason, but I really don't go through grates all that fast. 
regards,
Hal

ABROB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 11:52:11 AM »
I'm not a fan - i cant just hang it on the side of the grill without first taking the center section out and putting that somewhere.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 12:10:28 PM »
I have one on my performer and personally I find it a pain in the ass.
I feel the same exact way. Can't stand it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 12:34:58 PM »
I got a GBS grate from one of the kettles I picked up. It's chrome plated so it's unbelievably rusty. I'm using it only to cook in my 12" DO from camp chef (although it's actually not needed as the DO is anyway sitting on the charcoal baskets). Once I used it to cook in my 12" CI wok (non-Weber) and it was really pain in the ass. It's better to put the wok simply on top of a normal grate... For me in general useless thing.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 01:02:13 PM by qrczak1 »

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 01:06:55 PM »
I rarely use it with the center section. I made a round charcoal basket from a derelict WSM ring and a SJ charcoal grate. Fit's just right in the hole and allows a ring of wings around the heat source. I also use it that way for searing with the CI insert. Works great. Can't recall the last time I ever used the center grate. Why Weber wouldn't make a circular basket to fit is beyond me. It's almost useless without that.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/another-basket-case-introducing-the-ggb-'gourmet-grate-basket'/msg305663/#msg305663
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 01:12:03 PM by 56MPG »
Retired

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 01:37:48 PM »
I have them on my main cookers (8) and bought 10 more for $12.00 each. I use the Wok a lot and when I use the Vortex I'm not worried about the center of the grate.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 03:23:12 PM »
I need to buy a new grate. Mine is rusty due to the heavy moisture lately and it wont come off. So I was considering the GBS (8lbs shipping weight) vs regular  hinged grate (4.5lbs shipping weight).

I have been doing vortex wings and love them.

Not sure whats the best money spent. Also considering KillaGrilla but they are 2x the price of the GBS.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 03:36:02 PM »
I don't have use for other center attachment as I have few other CI grates, SS grates, SS griddles I could use. Mainly I use my 22" GBS with center removed to do chicken wings/vortex and to use non weber Wok cook. Otherwise, use GBS grate like any others with center intact.

I don't see how 18" GBS system can be that useful but than it would be cool to have something different.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 03:49:52 PM by greenweb »

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 03:48:33 PM »
I use a 22” GBS on my wok station, it’s perfect for that application.

I’d really like to add an 18” SS GBS to my mini-MT.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club