Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Performer Ss replace kettle  (Read 1333 times)

SuPerInge

• Happy Cooker
Weber Performer Ss replace kettle
« on: July 30, 2018, 03:56:52 PM »
I bought a 90's Red performer today for 28 usd. But the bowl is rusted trough and the lid handle is almost rusted off.

The rest of the cart has some rust but not bad so I just clean the rust off and paint with fireproof paint. Since I live in Norway spareparts are realy realy expensive. A new kettle with ash catcher and all will be about 400 usd

It will be much much to buy a  used 22" and try to make it fit. (about 100 to 150 usd) So my question to all you gurus. Can it be done. Is it tutorial somewhere?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

baglorious

• Smokey Joe
Re: Weber Performer Ss replace kettle
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 03:27:23 AM »
I've done this, and it is quite easy.  Unless I'm missing something... you're dealing with the same size kettle. 

https://bbqsmokermods.com/table-mounting-brackets-for-weber-kettle-by-unknown-bbq.html

You can buy these, and mount them to a new (used) kettle, and it should fit right onto your frame, in near identical fashion.  (You'll have to do a bit of drilling.  If you've never drilled metal, it isn't hard, and I'm sure there are youtube videos on that.  You'll probably want a new bit designed for metal... not too expensive, and if you're bothering to buy something, a small bottle of cutting fluid wouldn't hurt.)  Looks like they ship worldwide, FYI:

OR... you can do what I did, and not spend $35 plus shipping.  I picked up an older carted Weber (a One Touch Platinum... 1998, I think).  Used an angle grinder to cut the flanges off of the old rusted kettle.  A hacksaw would work as well, just would take some patience.  Once removed from the kettle... you get essentially the same structural component as the new mounts listed above.  Just not as pretty.  Drill those "old" mounts, which were previously welded on, with two holes for purposes of mounting to the new (used) kettle... drill the kettle with corresponding holes, and use some short stainless nuts and bolts to attach.   Presto. 

FYI:  I just put the mounts directly underneath the handles on the replacement (used) kettle.  So, it looks a touch different with the handles on it, and sits a touch higher on the frame (which is a good thing for me), but also helps you line up the mounts consistently on each side and ensure that the mounts are level on the kettle.  The diameter difference, affixing the mounts slightly lower (a couple of cm) on the kettle, was negligible.  It didn't 'shrink' the diameter enough to matter when re-mounting to the cart. 

If you wanted to cut off the handles on the new (used) kettle, that could be done as well, but you might have issues trying to cut the old ones off the the point you could put the new mounts on top of the old handle remnants.  It would probably be risky to try to cut the handles so close to get them off 'cleanly' enough to mount over.  However, you could just perhaps cut the handles off (leaving most of the welded part on the bowl to not risk making any unnecessary holes) and rotate the kettle bowl, leaving the handle remnants off to the side of the new mounts.  If you do that, be mindful of how rotating your kettle bowl will make your ash catcher line up (relative to the legs of the frame).

Also... if you can find a used kettle without the ash catcher (perhaps cheaper to find used?)... the ash catcher from the old kettle should fit right on your new used kettle.  If you examine how to get it off of the old one, you'll see that it can be transferred to any other kettle quite easily.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 03:47:55 AM by baglorious »

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 12:22:15 PM »
Earlier this year, I called Weber (out of curiosity) to see how much a new replacement kettle would be for a SSP.  The Weber CS representative pieced it all together for me, new performer kettle with brackets, lid, new bale, hardware kit, ash catcher, and thermometer for around $130 shipped  Initially, all the parts were much more, but she said she could give me a discount to bring it down to around $130.  Something to consider.
18" Middy & 26" Kettle, SnS, Summit S-620, Broilmaster D3CP

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Weber Performer Ss replace kettle
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 01:51:39 PM »
Red Limited Edition
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 05:41:39 AM by Jules V. »

SuPerInge

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 02:37:07 PM »
Earlier this year, I called Weber (out of curiosity) to see how much a new replacement kettle would be for a SSP.  The Weber CS representative pieced it all together for me, new performer kettle with brackets, lid, new bale, hardware kit, ash catcher, and thermometer for around $130 shipped  Initially, all the parts were much more, but she said she could give me a discount to bring it down to around $130.  Something to consider.
Wow that was cheap. I wonder how much shipping to Norway would be. I got a price quote from weber Norway and it would be in the 500 usd region. I want a other colour then black on the kettle. If the kettle is black I would need to make the frame red or some color

Sent from my SM-G950F using Weber Kettle Club mobile app