Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sears economy kettle made by Weber  (Read 1147 times)

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Sears economy kettle made by Weber
« on: July 22, 2018, 04:35:23 AM »
Had no idea what is was when I went to pick it up 1.5hrs away. From the ad, it said New in Box Weber for $20 Cad. And from the few pics, it looked like a black 18 with wooden handle.  Initially, I wasn’t interested in going that far for another reg. 18 even for that price.  After 3 days, I still see the ad and reply to it to see if still available. He has and I track out next day.

When I got there, I was bit disappointed . It is not 18 but 22. The lid vent  had huge gap, bolted on with no Weber markings on it. No marking on wooden handles either.  Also, good as a new condition but not new. Maybe cooked once or twice.  I almost walked away from this but I pick this up anyways reluctantly. 

Definitely made by Weber as the Box is a Weber box. Interesting how the lid vent has no Weber lettering embossed and is bolted on vs riveted on. I had to take the lid vent off and curve it as it was on flat with huge gap. No grate straps,  bolted on bowl vents.  K Lid vent code and M bowl vents code.  I am actually glad I picked this up. Possibly the only Sears 22 in this condition in Ontario. Proud to be  including this kettle into this years cooking rotation.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 03:37:08 PM by greenweb »

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
Re: Sears economy kettle made by Weber
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 06:55:22 AM »
Killer find Greenweb!

In my opinion the beaded design is superior to the tabbed one because it'll never pop or rust at the tabs.

I have a couple of them around but only one of them has Weber branded wood handles with the K on the vents.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 08:33:24 AM by Hell Fire Grill »
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 08:28:56 AM »
Nice find! Does it have an internal ash pan?

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 07:27:48 PM »
Internal ash pan is the only worthwhile part. Without it - meh

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 03:05:18 PM »
No internal ash pan on this one. After doing some research .... I find this kettle quite interesting with only Weber made kettle with bolt on lid and bowl vents and no grate straps. Important part of Weber history I think being made for Sears at one time. I should have taken the Weber box it came in or at least taken some pics for document purpose, but did not as the box had some water damage and bit moldy.  I have emailed the seller if he can take some pics of the box if he still has it and send it to me but heard nothing yet.

@Hell Fire Grill - I love the fact that this is the only Weber made grill without grate straps, and I tend to agree with you that no pops or rusting at welded grate location. but wondering if this was a better design in terms of having to NOT weld in 4 extra parts.... why Weber continue to do so with welded grate straps to this day. Just wondering.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 03:52:35 PM by greenweb »