Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Finally back in the charcoal game  (Read 538 times)

yippee

• Smokey Joe
Finally back in the charcoal game
« on: July 20, 2018, 10:20:43 PM »
...well, kinda. I had been trying to chase the elusive 22" Premium Target clearance price all over North Texas and kept coming up empty handed. It seems like everyone either had none in stock or if they did they were regular price. Then there was one incident of a wasted trip that resulted from "inventory issues".

Finally I decided to open my search up a little bit. After a phone call to ask that they could verify they physically had them in stock and asking them to hold the grill until I could make the 30 minute drive to get there, I headed off on another adventure. The display model they had on hold for me was awaiting my arrival, as promised. We had a bit more shopping to do after checking in to let them know I was there for my grill (so they wouldn't give up on me). Of course I had to check out the grill section, hoping for more deals. Eventually I stumbled upon the second grill inventory showed they had, but they couldnt locate, on a random shelf by (but not with) the grills. After asking if they would mind me taking the boxed one and not the display instead, I purchased the boxed grill and headed home.

I am officially the owner of an 18" Weber Original Kettle. It wasn't exactly what I had sat out after, but for $23.98 I sure wasn't going to complain. Now I have a grill and nothing to go with it. In the next few days I will be seeking out the basic stuff to get started. I'm just excited to finally own a Weber again. I'll keep an eye out this year to see if anymore 22" grills go on clearance, if not I'll try again next year and hope for better luck. But until then, I'll try to get the 18" geared up, and get back to charcoal grilling. It's been a while, so I'll have to learn to ride without training wheels again.

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
Re: Finally back in the charcoal game
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 08:51:53 PM »
Now that you are using charcoal again hopefully the first piece you add is a charcoal chimney and a lighter. Some stainless tongs and a spatula will get you cooking.

Of course everyone wants a knew Grill but don't leave out looking on your local Craigslist. They don't come up all the time but 22in models in great shape seem to come up between 30 and $50 all the time. I'm thinking I should have waited and checked Craigslist before getting my Jumbo Joe premium. Not that I regret the Jumbo Joe but I probably could have gotten more grill for less money going used.
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.