Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Veggies on the kettle?  (Read 1848 times)

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
Veggies on the kettle?
« on: July 05, 2018, 11:10:08 AM »
So my repetoire of veggies on the grill is pretty limited. I can do Elotes, peppers, asparagus, but that is about all I can think to grill up vegetable matter wise...

What sorts of veggies are y'all throwing on the grill and what techniques are you using for them?
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

Cellar2ful

Re: Veggies on the kettle?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 12:28:10 PM »

Corn, zucchinis, carrots, brussel sprouts and even lettuce.  The zucchinis and carrots I cut in halves, coat with a little olive oil and season with some Bad Byron's Butt Rub. Grill for 5 minutes per side directly over the coals.  Brussel sprouts I cut in half, coat with olive oil and season with a little garlic salt.  I dump them on a SS Weber vegetable pan and cook indirect heat for 20 minutes.  Red potatoes are awesome on the grill too.  Buy the smaller ones, cut them in half, add a little olive oil, fresh rosemary and lemon pepper.  Grill for 20-25 minutes indirect heat.   

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
Veggies on the kettle?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 01:27:28 PM »
Some of my favorites are cabbage and fresh broccoli. I also do onions, mushrooms, potatoes, Brussels sprouts, spaghetti squash, sweet potatoes, corn, and I’m sure I’ll think of some more here in a minute but my wife is calling me to the dinner table.
Brb
...back.
Green beans, cucumbers, bell peppers, and jalapeños.

All but the spaghetti squash, broccoli, and cabbage, usually end up in a medley drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette, then grilled directly in one of those pans with holes all over.

Potatoes are cooked indirectly. Sometimes sliced thin with onions between the slices, drizzled in oil and wrapped in aluminum foil.

The cabbage and broccoli are grilled direct. Cabbage has olive oil, salt and pepper.  Broccoli has a drizzle of Italian dressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 01:34:35 PM by Schaefd2 »
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 02:58:43 PM »
ANY veg you can roast you can grill.
Not to mention hobo packs.

https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/barbecued-cabbage/

Parsnips, winter squash, melons you name it.
Green bean rafts are good.

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 05:19:13 PM »
A big summertime favorite for us is just a medley of veggies we toss in a bowl with olive oil, S&P, garlic powder and any seasoning which compliments the main dish and then we throw them in the grill basket.  Often I am throwing in onions, quartered patty pan squash or zucchini, canned potatoes or par-cooked red potatoes, green beans, carrot slivers, broccoli.  It makes a great side.  I am also a huge fan of grilled asparagus.  It’s good hot and then cold on a salad the next day... or just standing in front of the refrigerator right before bed when you need a snack. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 05:23:46 PM »
Sounds familiar.
Around here asparagus almost never makes it to the next day.
We've even caught the kid who wouldn't eat it at dinner raiding the fridge!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 07:05:32 AM »
Generally keep it simple at our house. S&p, oil and drizzle some balsamic over the top after grilled.
My favorite would be peppers, onions, mushrooms, and asparagus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
Veggies on the kettle?
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 07:36:13 AM »
Large mushrooms in a foil packet with a little butter and seasonings. Also slices of eggplant can be the base for good things. Also green bean clusters wrapped in a strip of bacon.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

owlclaw

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 02:13:38 PM »
A big summertime favorite for us is just a medley of veggies we toss in a bowl with olive oil, S&P, garlic powder and any seasoning which compliments the main dish and then we throw them in the grill basket.  Often I am throwing in onions, quartered patty pan squash or zucchini, canned potatoes or par-cooked red potatoes, green beans, carrot slivers, broccoli.  It makes a great side.  I am also a huge fan of grilled asparagus.  It’s good hot and then cold on a salad the next day... or just standing in front of the refrigerator right before bed when you need a snack. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
If I may ask, do you cook squash slices directly on the grill grate, in a veggie basket, or other method?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

cliffhanger

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 04:07:46 PM »
First time eating endives and mushrooms on the grill.  Wow!

I usually do the olive oil, salt, and pepper.  But you have to try this recipe for basting veggies

https://youtu.be/BkqyNi5n380

Just tried it tonight and it was a game changer for me. Good luck!

Sent from my N9136 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 04:19:29 PM by cliffhanger »