Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Howdy from coastal Texas!  (Read 1200 times)

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
Howdy from coastal Texas!
« on: July 02, 2018, 08:46:56 AM »
Long, LONG time BBQ-er, been using a Weber Smokey Joe Silver for the last 8 years after my Smokey Joe Premium (The one with the hoop latch) got accidentally smashed on a camping trip by a 4x4 tire... Long story...

I never knew a Weber Kettle Club Existed, but hey, this is a good thing!

I currently own 2 kettles. A Smokey Joe Silver, that I just ordered a replacement cooking grate for as my original is just too far gone to want to use now.
My newest is a Jumbo Joe Premium. That is the 22" Walmart exclusive cheapie kettle. I have modded it with a flip end grate, tool hanger, and a thermostat between the lid daisy wheel and the lip of the lid. This puts the probe as close as is feaseable to the grate where the meat is cooking, and REALLY helps me know how I am doing with temp control where it matters.

The toys prior to the thermostat mods...

I did a similar mod to the Smokey Joe Silver as well...

I know the Jumbo Joe Premium isn't getting a lot of love, and it's too bad. I have so far done 2 major burns in it, and while my results were spotty, that is all on me. The grill did exactly what it was supposed to do, when, and how it was supposed to do it...

One las mod I have planned for the JJ Prem is to replace the cheap OE screw / nut for the daisy wheel with a stainless steel phillips head screw, slightly longer than OE, and double nut so that I can jam nut this arrangement. Keep the OE nut tight enough it doesn't fall off and I need a jack hammer to adjust the daisy wheel.

Working with the foibles I have had some success including...

#1. 10lbs of smoked pork loin that is just heavenly.
#2. 4 racks of spare ribs, smoked. The first 2, not so great, figured out what I did wrong. The last 2, and fantastic.
#3. 4 lbs of chicken breast fajitas.
#4. 4 packs of Johnsonville brats.
#5. 4 packs of Hebrew Nationals.
#6. 4 l1lb links of Vennison Kielbasa.

God willing and weather permitting, next weekend will be another big cook on this thing... And I can finally relegate the Smokey Joe to camping duty!

I have a youtube channel if you are interested, where I discuss a variety of subjects, one of them happens to be the Weber Kettle and BBQ... (And hopefully I am not breaking the rules by posting this...)

https://www.youtube.com/c/daves-workshop
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 12:17:52 PM by dbhost »
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Howdy from coastal Texas!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 09:04:59 AM »
Welcome from Doraville,Ga
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 10:21:13 AM »
Welcome from Virginia Beach, VA.

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 08:29:45 PM »
Welcome from Wisconsin.

FuzzyMan88

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 05:55:38 AM »
Welcome from Northern Kentucky

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 09:31:38 PM »
Hello and welcome to the WKC from Eugene, Oregon.   Sounds like your well on your way :)

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

KettleMaster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 02:20:48 PM »
Welcome! You are a seasoned Vet!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app