Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Inconsistent cook  (Read 693 times)

GrillSergeant

• Happy Cooker
Inconsistent cook
« on: June 27, 2018, 08:40:08 PM »
So, I didn't have enough room on my weber to do all 18 beef short ribs for a long slow cook, so I ordered this elevated grill accessory to add more area to cook on.  The lid covered the whole thing.  I placed my air temp probe on the upper grill and cooked for about 5 1/2 hours at 225F maintained with my Slow and Sear.  The short ribs were wonderful!  That is, on the top grill, but the lower grill they were undercooked and not as tender.  Next time I'll remove the top ribs when they hit the correct temp, and continue cooking the other ribs on the lower grill to correct temp.  But overall, I really liked this accessory for adding more cooking surface area to the weber kettle grill.  I cooked for the recommended time, but believe the meat on the upper grill must have pulled some heat away from the lower grill.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
Re: Inconsistent cook
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 10:15:41 PM »
You know how guys running those wood burning pizza ovens will finish a pizza by scooping it up on the peel, and raising it to the ceiling to brown the top? Same thing here. Heat rises, and it is hotter up top than it is at grate level.

You just need to allow for it. You have the right idea about pulling the food up top first.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 10:18:20 PM »
The ones on top are getting more radiant heat from the lid so they will cook faster. Rotating the pieces every hour should help even out the cook.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 06:24:10 AM »
I’ve seen the same issue using the bottom grate in the 18.5 WSM.  Gotta rotate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk