Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Are the LP burner tubes for the Performer all the same?  (Read 1057 times)

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
Are the LP burner tubes for the Performer all the same?
« on: June 24, 2018, 04:26:51 PM »
I need to replace the burner tube in my '96 SSP.  I'm seeing 2 burner tubes that fit the "performer".  Part # 10401 and # 10469.  It looks like both will work, but I just want to make sure.  Can someone please confirm.  Thanks.
18" Middy & 26" Kettle, SnS, Summit S-620, Broilmaster D3CP

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Are the LP burner tubes for the Performer all the same?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 04:59:01 PM »
There have been 3 available.

Original (everything up to and including 2004, i.e. all SSPs) << -- that's # 10401

2005-2012, #10469

2013-current, #85683

The original is for all SSP models up to and including 2004 (the last year SSPs were made).

The 2005-2012 fits 2nd and 3rd Gen (everything is the same as #10401, EXCEPT the wires are longer to accommodate the different frame and wire routing/starter button location)

2013-current is intended for 4th Gen Performers with the electronic (battery) igniter button. Everything is the same as #10469 EXCEPT for one wire terminal difference.

Piezo "clicker" buttons have a 1/8" male terminal for the white negative (-) and a small post terminal for black positive (+); the battery-operated buttons have two 1/8" male terminals for both neg and pos.

Any of the 3 burner "kits" can be made to work with any Performer, any year, subsequent to the proper wire terminals/starter buttons modifications etc. being performed.

Note: You can also loosen the bracket from the burner tube and install the wiring on the other side of the bracket, effectively "shortening" the burner tube for better firing beneath a Slow 'n Sear and/or helping protect the wiring from heat damage at the bowl.

Note: A new burner tube assembly might come preassembled with the ground wire on the "wrong side" of the bracket or too close to the bowl when installed. Unscrew it and fix as needed!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 05:02:16 PM by addicted-to-smoke »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 09:08:08 PM »
Thank you for the detailed information.  I gave the '96 SSP to my son and at first he didn't care about the propane feature.  Now he loves it.  It has the original old (obsolete) propane tank that is too old to be refilled.  The burner tube is rusted, but still works.  There's still propane in the tank, but when it runs out, we're going to replace the burner, change the fitting and get the Manchester tank from Ace Hardware. 
18" Middy & 26" Kettle, SnS, Summit S-620, Broilmaster D3CP

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 05:59:28 AM »
You might call around and see who will recertify and replace the valve with OPD. Sometimes that's cheaper than buying a new tank, sometimes not.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 07:04:37 AM »
While we're taking about performers and the ignitors.....why wont mine work?!  I recently replaced the ignitor and the button.  I can see a spark but it wont actually ignite the burner tube for some reason.
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 07:48:08 AM »
While we're taking about performers and the ignitors.....why wont mine work?!  I recently replaced the ignitor and the button.  I can see a spark but it wont actually ignite the burner tube for some reason.
Try cleaning the burner tube. You can shoot it with water hose or use a skewer  to clear it up as their might be ashes or other debris in it.

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 08:43:52 AM »
Try cleaning the burner tube. You can shoot it with water hose or use a skewer  to clear it up as their might be ashes or other debris in it.

I'll try cleaning it again.....lights no problem if I use a lighter at the output.
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 12:26:01 PM »

The ground connection could still be weak, even though you're seeing spark. Call it "semi-spark." If you can't clean the ground screw connection and/or tube, a new tube kit should fix it. After which, you'll have a spare igniter and wires ...

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 12:40:23 PM »

The ground connection could still be weak, even though you're seeing spark. Call it "semi-spark." If you can't clean the ground screw connection and/or tube, a new tube kit should fix it. After which, you'll have a spare igniter and wires ...

Yeah I wondered how good that crusty screw might actually ground it! .....tried cleaning it up a bit and using some emory cloth before reassembling.  Once I was able to see a spark I figured we were good to go! 

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 07:07:37 PM »

Yeah I wondered how good that crusty screw might actually ground it! .....tried cleaning it up a bit and using some emory cloth before reassembling.  Once I was able to see a spark I figured we were good to go!

I know. And that's the heartbreak of it. Of course, the burner tube is the other aspect, and if it's not clean enough ...

I had a nice burner tube with a spark that would-not-light. I replaced the wires/screw etc and it was good. Still dunno "why." Sorta the opposite of your scenario, which is why I posted what I did earlier. Good luck!

ABROB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 05:41:37 AM »
I've also used a file or screwdriver to scrape around inside the burner tube through the igniter hole where the igniter will arc to make sure there is a clean metal surface to arc against in addition to a clean ground.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 07:45:40 AM »
Speaking of burners, igniters and performers,  most if not all the burners on the gen2 are stainless. The later ssp's also came with ss burners.   I've swapped all my burners including brand new ones for the gen2 stainless burners. The ss is better suited to deal with corrosion and high heat especially with a charcoal holder/basket constantly right above it.  Also the screw on the ssp burners are slightly smaller than the newer generations. You can use the newer/larger screw on the ssp burners but not the other way around.