Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Can't resto, but what about a return to functional?  (Read 789 times)

CharlotteSkip

• Happy Cooker
Can't resto, but what about a return to functional?
« on: June 23, 2018, 07:12:49 AM »
This is my first Weber, DO date code and I have owned and used it since Father's Day in 2005. I haven't stored it properly and now have 4 rusted out spots in the kettle. I already purchased a replacement ( 22" Performer) , but hate to throw this old girl away. Restoring it doesn't seem possible, but how about repairing back to being useable? Would a hi temp substance like muffler putty work to patch the holes and let the grill "breathe" properly again? I'm looking for suggestions here- thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin]
1- Smokey Joe, 1-18" Kettle, 1 -22" Performer folding table: all in basic black

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Can't resto, but what about a return to functional?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 08:22:29 AM »
Used black kettles are cheap and plentiful. Don’t beat yourself up over it. I’d keep it for parts or use as a planter.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 09:01:49 AM »
Like mentioned use it for parts or a planter. I wouldn’t use any putty or bondo type stuff on a cooker. Best bet is to patch the holes with stainless steel patches. Cut it to size to patch the hole and bolt it to the bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 11:03:41 PM »
   Going by the picture it's time to put this slobbering beast to sleep. Throw the bowl away and keep all the good parts, learn to clean them and wait for something to pop up on craigslist.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 06:21:46 AM »
There was a thread here of someone who made patches and either bolted or welded them in. The grill wouldn't be a looker but it will still keep cooking. I rescued one like this for @CatskillSmoker (a red mist 22"). It was on the side of the road for trash.. I was gonna pass on it when I saw its condition.. LOL he made me go back and get it. I wonder how it's doing?

If it were my grill and it was my first grill.. I would be inclined to save it if I can.. even if it's not the prettiest afterwards. I gotta do a better job of storing my grills.. they just sit out on the deck uncovered.. :(
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner