Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I sure wish you guys had told me about this...  (Read 1458 times)

putoluto

• WKC Brave
I sure wish you guys had told me about this...
« on: June 17, 2018, 11:27:21 AM »
I have been razor scraping and Easy-Offing for a week. I have gone through 10 blades, even after spraying the kettle with Easy-Off and over-night marinating it in a trash bag. Then I repeated it, marinating it for 6 days.  It has been a lot of back-breaking scraping.

I sure wish you guys had told me about using pumice stones. I used half of one after all the razor scraping, and it did what they could not. I should have used it after the first over-night marinade / scraping session.

It worked like a charm!!! Just wet down the work area, angle the stone at 45-degrees, and start lightly rubbing. Sometimes medium rubbing. Once or twice hard rubbing.  Got rid of those fine baked on brown lines around the rim of the bowl, cleaned out the rusty spots (still rusty, just clean now), and got rid of that white scaly-chalky crap under the OTS blades I could not scrape off well.

Before and after pix:

https://imgur.com/Em5pJsd

https://imgur.com/HEYQT3a

https://imgur.com/a/DGSQjxY
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 11:29:13 AM by putoluto »

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Re: I sure wish you guys had told me about this...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 12:49:39 PM »
Is the inside of your kettle shiny like a new kettle or is it scratched up from the pumice stone?  I never use anything other than dish or laundry soap with water, followed by razor blading. Never really had too much trouble. Only takes an hour or two on the crustiest of kettles.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 01:19:58 PM »
Is the inside of your kettle shiny like a new kettle or is it scratched up from the pumice stone?  I never use anything other than dish or laundry soap with water, followed by razor blading. Never really had too much trouble. Only takes an hour or two on the crustiest of kettles.

Same here. razor blades ( change them often as they get dull quick ), soap and warm water with 0000 or 000 steel wool should do the cleaning job fine.  Never heard of using pumice stone to clean kettles but it can not be that abrasive as it is used to take off dead  skins on your feet.  And if it does better job cleaning without leaving fine scratch marks than why not.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 01:54:16 PM »
Yup #0000 and soapy water in for the final scrub after razor blades. Forgot to add that.

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 03:50:34 PM »
Kneab, I don't see any scratches. Here's what it looks like after a little soapy water rinse out:

https://imgur.com/a/DupdU04

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 04:00:26 PM »
@putoluto

Next time you a stubborn, old, hardened, crusty Kettle......get some apple cider vinegar & an old (read:old) towel or two......

Soak the towel pretty damp but not dripping all over & lay it on the crusty area(s)......wait 15  or 20 min., remove & scrape to bare porcelain pretty easily.....

This is my 1962 (Cadillac) Fleetwood, after such treatment:

Dug down to the bottom & there's 52 or whatever year old porcelain there, good as new.....

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 04:11:03 PM »
1buckie, that looks GRATE!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 04:17:39 PM »
Yeah, try the apple cider vinegar....burns off in 5 minutes 1st time you cook & no aftertaste or chemicals hanging around....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 05:22:37 PM »
Iv had a couple nasty nasty kettles and I always use razors . Just buy a big pack and change often once it gets tuff to scrape. If a razor can’t get close enough you got some GUNK!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 05:51:48 PM »

Same here. razor blades ( change them often as they get dull quick ), soap and warm water with 0000 or 000 steel wool should do the cleaning job fine.  Never heard of using pumice stone to clean kettles but it can not be that abrasive as it is used to take off dead  skins on your feet.  And if it does better job cleaning without leaving fine scratch marks than why not.

X3 worst one i had took about 8-10 total hours and about 30 blades. Had a hardened 1/4 inch of gunk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 06:02:30 PM »
Best cleaning method I've tried is a spray bottle with 2/3 water and 1/3 liquid laundry detergent.  Spray it on, let it sit for a couple of hours, and a razor blade takes most gunk off.  No fumes or caustic chemicals to worry about.
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

mobiledynamics

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 06:10:36 PM »
Have not tried with carbon,  but what's wrong with putting in in a black bag overnight with some ammonia.

Just short of using PLASTIC scraping tools, I would not do metal-on metal scraping

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 06:18:11 PM »
My razor blades usually break before they dull. Gotta work on my attack angle there.

mobiledynamics, porcelain enamel is insanely tough. That's why you never hear of anyone legitimately scratching it with a razor, nor any normal abrasive. Yeah, ammonia should work well. I know it works on gas range grates but damn, ya gotta be careful you don't breathe any and black out!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mobiledynamics

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 08:14:23 AM »
eh. Call me old school then. Technically, one may be putting micro scratches on the finish which may compromise the enamel even though you may not notice it.  I would rather use ~chems~ first until all futile efforts have  been done before I resport to mechnically....but it's subjective ya know