Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A lime is always a great distraction  (Read 2285 times)

Cellar2ful

A lime is always a great distraction
« on: June 09, 2018, 12:51:31 PM »

Background- My right hand had developed a condition called Dupuytrens Contracture. Scar tissue forms under the skin of the palm causing the hand to pull into a permanent fist.  It started about 5 years ago and I have managed to avoid corrective surgery until now. The surgery is extensive and delicate, involving risks to possible nerve and tendon damage. It finally had progressed to where I was experiencing difficulties in holding a wine bottle and restoring kettles. That was my tipping point for embracing surgery.  So, this past Thursday after the WKC picnic I was scheduled for the three hour surgery under general anesthesia. Never having had a real surgery before, I started becoming anxious,  thinking more and more of the "what ifs'. That was until my wife received a text Wednesday afternoon from her girlfriend about an add on LetGo.

See my wife has told her girlfriend (and probably every stranger she has met) about my hobby of collecting vintage Webers. Funny thing is her girlfriend had just signed up on the Letgo site Wednesday afternoon. My wife told her it was one of the resale sites I use. Finding the add on my PC I see the add has been posted for only 12 minutes. Pretty good odds. Problem is the kettle was in Placerville where my wife's girlfriend lives. That's a  2 1/2 hour one way drive from our house. She asks if I would be interested in the kettle and offers to have her husband run and pick it up. I don't need to tell you what my answer was.  About 30 minutes later we receive a text from our friend saying the seller had responded that the kettle was sold and someone was on the way to pick it up. Wow, now that is fast to have beaten a 12 minute response time. I start texting the Sacramento guys, hoping that one of them had scored it. One by one they respond no, eliminating the grillfellas I know in that area. I figure that some lucky person got a heck of a score. It was all good as it was a great distraction for me and kept me from thinking about the surgery.

After the surgery on Thursday, my wife drives me home and this is sitting in my driveway.

Apparently my wife's friend had scored the kettle and was stringing us along about it being sold. They had a job in the Bay Area Thursday and dropped it off at our house as a surprise. Caddywhompus and a bit of rim rash but quite a nice surprise to come home to.

This was three hours out of surgery. Looks like the anesthesia had not worn off yet. Kinda have a glazed look.

This has been a challenging post to write as I am right handed and have had to type this left handed using the "hunt and peck method". Try using a mouse with your weak hand sometime. Talk about reprogramming your brain. My surgeon said the procedure went well and she does not expect any complications.  I have to wear a cast for 6 weeks and have some upcoming physical therapy but I say bring it on. Come on, I got a lime to restore.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Re: A lime is always a great distraction
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 01:16:04 PM »
Awesome way to score that Limey! Looks good already. More than anything, glad you are doing fine after the surgery.  Looking forward to seeing this lime restored after your full recovery in about 6 weeks time.

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 01:18:13 PM »
Darn it I guess I need to get back on letgo that was right in my backyard!  25 minutes away
2 Genesis A summit Gold B a Performer a homemade cabinet pellet smoker and a big piece of pipe buried in the ground

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 01:40:52 PM »
hahaha, that's not anesthesia, it's the  dazed "OMG I have a Lime" look.  Congratson both the Lime and hopefully, the successful surgery !

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 02:05:25 PM »
Glad to hear the surgery went well Jim. Now I know why pics of the Cado haven’t been posted yet. Hope you have a great recovery and that your hand is better afterwards.

Congrats on the Lime also! Now you’ve got another agent out there, pretty sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
A lime is always a great distraction
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 02:29:07 PM »
Glad all went well. And killer lime!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 02:40:36 PM »
Hoping for a speedy recovery good sir, and you are a walking kettle karma machine.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 02:48:59 PM »
Wait Wait Wait! You said it was an 18" Lime in your text!? ;)

I haven't been checking LetGo lately, so you caught the Sac-Crew "slippin'" on this one. Nice connection for you guys and a good grab, Jim. Glad this beauty was secured.

Also, great news that the surgery went well. If you are having a backlog of resto's, please feel free to park that at my place for...well...forever.

Get better soon, Jim. We need you to fire up that WSM. My crystal ball sees a full packer brisket in your future. ;)

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 03:52:03 PM »
Glad the surgery went well Jim.  I was searching sites that day including letgo.  I never saw the add but glad it found a great home.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 05:02:44 PM »
Damn it Jim! 
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Bodhi

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 05:14:34 PM »
Glad to hear the operation was a success! Now heal up, we're counting on you! Oh, and congratulations Jim, you deserve that grill. Not the Ambassador, but that one.  ;)

AnyThingGrilled

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 06:19:46 PM »
 Wishing you a quick recovery so you can get at that grill

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 08:10:46 PM »
I can't think of better PT than restoring that beauty Lime.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 05:50:03 AM »
Congrat's on the limey Jim.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 06:05:58 AM »
Blessings and best wishes for a speedy recovery.  Life will be better for you after the healing. 

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;