Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: the would I should I summit charcoal??  (Read 935 times)

nitis

• WKC Brave
the would I should I summit charcoal??
« on: June 09, 2018, 07:05:27 AM »
Here I am sneaking up on July and I have yet to add something to my outdoor cooking fleet yet this summer. I had originally considered a LA caja china box but I have shelved that idea for now. With the new pool going in starting here in a few weeks I have clearance to make a purchase and I am seriously considering a SCG.

I guess I really don't need one I have two performers and a genesis on the patio now another older kettle plus a nib red LE and I have gotten fairly good with the kettle cooking I can do brisket and pork butts on them not problem pretty much anything I want or need.

So generally speaking what do I gain from the SCG? Insulation for colder weather cooks and a little bit of extra grill space?

I guess I can make the argument I do not need one but just want one. Does anyone have an argument to help push me over the edge to getting one?

2 Genesis A summit Gold B a Performer a homemade cabinet pellet smoker and a big piece of pipe buried in the ground

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
the would I should I summit charcoal??
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 07:12:41 AM »
I’d add a pit barrel cooker. The new ones are porcelain enamel and would give you the opportunity to hang meat. And you save money. This was probably not a helpful post at all [emoji3][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 07:17:17 AM by HoosierKettle »

nitis

• WKC Brave
Re: the would I should I summit charcoal??
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 07:19:35 AM »
HAHA thanks!  I have cooked many a bird and rack in a barrel in my time so many I never really considered a commercially built barrel cooker as we have half a dozen homemade ones in the family I have access to if needed they just aren't good yardpieces.  But that is a good though t I have a metal fab guy who owes me a favor if I could just track down that elusive Stainless bareel I have lusted for
2 Genesis A summit Gold B a Performer a homemade cabinet pellet smoker and a big piece of pipe buried in the ground

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 01:42:42 PM »
Ummm, you need something to cook asparagus on.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 03:34:23 PM »
It sounds like you want something showy. For the price, the summit charcoal is basically just a more luxurious and slightly larger performer and it doesn’t sound like it has the appeal you’re looking for. Have you considered a Big Green Egg at that price point?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 03:58:33 PM »
No the BGE is not for me I think I am going to pass for now on the summit.  I got all excited because I found a guy on ebay who as the cart model and selling them for 1500 and I got a 24 month 0% from paypal is why I was considering it. 

I just missed an American front loader Traeger by about 5 minutes earlier today for $100 right in my own town darn it anyway. 

It would be a brag piece if I got the SCG.  I think I need to wait a few months and spend that money on my 72 instead

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 04:22:24 PM »
This is where I’d spend SCG money:
https://kbq.us/product/kbq-c-60-pit/

xring01

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 07:46:46 PM »
I bought a used summit. It has exceeded my expectations.
Stupid simple to operate. I love the way the lid opens with the spring assist. I never would have guess that I would have appreciated that feature as much as I do. Literally a 3 year old can open it.

It cooks low and slow, med or searing... And you can go from low and slow, to searing in 10 minutes..

My first cook with it was a Prime Rib.. Set up some coals on the left side, maintained 250 degrees, when the Prime rib hit 128, I opened up the vents, and 10 minutes later it was over 500 degrees... Put a sear to on it, can called it a day.

Its so fuel efficient. Hardly burns any coals at all.

It has truly exceeded my expectations, love it... Does everything, including pizzas... made a few the other day... First time I ever made a pizza other than in an oven... Bought the webber gormet pizza stone, and set up some coals on the bottom grate, with the heat deflector. It was up to temp in 15 minutes 550-600, cooked a perfect pizza in 5-6 minutes.

Honestly, I have owned Weber Ranch, 22” Kettles, WSMs, Huge offset smoker... Summit is the easiest to use, and master. Its the most versatile cooker I have ever seen. To the point, I have sold the Weber Ranch, one 22 in kettle, and have a 22 WSM up for sale now.

It does everything I need, and more.

Pitts & Spitts 24x36 Offset Smoker, Ranch Kettle, 18" WSM, 22" WSM, 22" Grill, 24" Summit

SacramentoWeber

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 08:08:55 PM »
I’m going to pick one up as soon as I find a used one. They look like a ton of fun to cook on.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app