Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Patent Pending Red 18  (Read 2259 times)

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
Patent Pending Red 18
« on: May 27, 2018, 06:57:26 AM »
So on Thursday I get a PM from @dgodwin with a link and picture for a CL ad.
I was contacting seller and I get a text from @DrewZ  about it as well.
Got the seller on the phone and we set up for 10:30 AM Friday.
He expains there a LOT of ash in it so I should bring a bag to empty them out in. WTF
So Friday morning I pull up to the house and the grill and 2 1/2 bags of 24lb. Kingsford are in the driveway.
Seller comes out and is about 75-80, very nice gentlemen. I ask if he bought it and he tells me it was a house warming gift from a friend when they bought the house in 1970. I empty out ashes that were up to charcoal grate out into the bag. He says " A man not afraid to get his hands dirty". No problem I say. I ask where the garbage can is and he says " it's not handy". WTF. I guess using his hose to clean my hands would be asking to much so I put the bag in the bed of the truck and pack the grill in my passenger seat, shake hands with my dirty hand, and I'm off. Got her home and gave her a quick cleaning. Bowl daisy vents are locked up, Kroil on them now. Pin size hole by one socket weld. Treads on metal wheels are split, but all there. Another fun project. Thanks Fellas for looking out.

Nice Blueish grey

Cellar2ful

Re: Patent Pending Red 18
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 07:32:43 AM »

Great score Colin.  Is it just me or does that interior bowl color look blue but the interior of the lid appears to be black?  (Here we go again - lol)
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 07:39:31 AM »

Great score Colin.  Is it just me or does that interior bowl color look blue but the interior of the lid appears to be black?  (Here we go again - lol)

Both seem to be a blueish grey like the inside of an oven. Really cool. A first for me.

DrewZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 07:54:14 AM »
Nice get.

Kroil rules.
Drew Z.
70th Anniversary-SSP, A-Code GA, Snap On GA, Blue 18" OTG, Eagles SJ, 18" Tuck-N-Carry Midget, 3-burner Genny Jr., S-320

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 09:37:43 AM »
Nice score and teamwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

chiku18

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 10:45:01 AM »
Very nice score , specially steel wheels and that blue inside . Grate going !!’

Looking for Colored 18 MBH

MrSandman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 06:50:17 PM »
Beautiful job!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 07:16:11 PM »
Ver early Pat PENDING for sure. 1969. It’s still got the thumbscrew era grate strap configuration (2 of the four straps lined up with the bowl handles in a + ). Weber changed the straps to the familiar “X” pattern not long after. Nice pickup!

HOLY GRAILS: 1950s era Black or Custom finish 18.5 or 22.5 Kettle, Brown Go Anywhere grill.

KevinP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 07:22:15 PM »
Very nice. Grate score

Madpap

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 08:14:33 PM »
Nice score! And good to know about the grate straps too!

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 06:28:24 AM »
I think the person doing grate straps that day had to much to drink at lunchtime.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 08:07:46 AM »
Re: the seller

I know that generation as you described him. Perfectly understandable once or if you can appreciate the perspective.

Nice kettle!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 05:41:36 PM »
First, many thanks to @Cellar2ful for his posting of such a detailed RRR of a very BEAUTIFUL kettle.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/196162-ambassador-in-the-wild-(yellow-ochre)/60/
I hear his voice in my head,just another sanding. LOL. This is my first steel wheel kettle RRR. Hope you Fellas enjoy.
So the legs, I must say were a BITCH. They were corroded and rusty in spots. Upon taking legs off the kettle I noticed one leg was frozen to the triangle, which is the worse that I've seen. With guidance and inspiration from Jim's post, I sanded and 0000 steel wool the legs and got them to where I was happy. I haven't polished them yet.

Next I started the wheels. Tread is split but intact so was easy to take of wheel. Evaporust, sanding, and again steel wool. It was some work but I got the one side to where I like it ready for Primer/ filler.

As I stated in my first post, Kroil to the rescue.

All 3 bowl daisies were locked up in the closed position.
After 5 days of spraying 2 of the 3 daisies are functional. One more to go. Will keep posting until completed.

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 06:02:49 PM »
Grate progress!  Keep it up!

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 07:12:22 PM »
Love Kroil! Nice job so far!