Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tonight’s bout: vortex v baskets  (Read 1867 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Tonight’s bout: vortex v baskets
« on: May 16, 2018, 05:32:13 PM »
As a bonus, 3 wheeler v one touch.

I decided to do wings tonight. Sams club fresh whole wings cut apart and tips discarded. Olive oil and dusted with Tony’s. Each were cooked for one hour no turning.  Each started with 3/4 chimney of weber coal. I added a little to the vortex as it holds more and looked like it needed more. Even so, after 20 minutes, both read same temp. Both tasted incredible. Vortex does not get hotter than baskets even with more coal. If anything, I would say the three wheeler was disadvantaged with less coal and less overall intake. Both tasted incredible. Three wheeler wings got the jalapeño honey mustard and one touch got the franks treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

theduke

• Smokey Joe
Re: Tonight’s bout: vortex v baskets
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 06:15:59 PM »
Glad to see these results! I was visiting family a few months back, used baskets instead of my Vortex and thought maybe I was imagining an almost identical outcome. That being said the Vortex was a gift and I love using it, but not necessary for great results.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 06:26:17 PM »
You were supposed to say the Vortex wings had crispier skin and cooked faster. Please try it again until the results meet our expectations. Thanks!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 07:16:41 PM »
It can't be.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 02:04:02 AM »
You get more indirect grill area with the vortex and it can hold more charcoal than the baskets.  It’s still a great tool.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 03:45:18 AM »
Wings look good. Just a word of advice... NEVER throw out the wing tips. Save them for chicken stock.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 05:16:32 AM »
...exactly how I do my chicken pieces on my Weber MT.

Thanks for the cook off!!!
 8)

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 10:52:22 AM »
We sure love our gadgets don't we???  Used my new votex a few times for wings.  Good results. Baskets versus the Vortex??? I like em both!!
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 12:58:56 PM »
I'm still waiting for someone to make a vornado: A Vortex placed atop baskets. Possibly with a camp stove burner below that, running at full bore.

Who's gonna be the first to melt the porcelain finish off their lid? C'mon, ya damn sissies!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 04:59:32 PM »
I'm still waiting for someone to make a vornado: A Vortex placed atop baskets. Possibly with a camp stove burner below that, running at full bore.

Who's gonna be the first to melt the porcelain finish off their lid? C'mon, ya damn sissies!
Holy cow, you had me rolling on that one!

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 05:08:22 PM »
That's a great post...Great looking wings...
But I will say it again...
DO NOT think that the Vortex is only a wing cooker...
It's a versatile piece of equipment limited only by your imagination...

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 05:59:27 PM »

That's a great post...Great looking wings...
But I will say it again...
DO NOT think that the Vortex is only a wing cooker...
It's a versatile piece of equipment limited only by your imagination...

Yes, I’m glad you remind us of that. I still haven’t gotten around to doing anything else with it.  I haven’t used it for a beer can chicken yet. Been meaning to. It definitely packs the most coal and leaves more indirect real estate than any other charcoal holding device I’ve seen.

That weber charcoal is incredible. I took this tonight. Only used about a quarter of the charcoal on last nights wing cook.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 07:32:34 PM »

How you have me thinking!!!! I'm still trying to get my kettle to glow red!