Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: "Duel Fuel Chicken"  (Read 689 times)

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
"Duel Fuel Chicken"
« on: May 18, 2018, 03:45:18 PM »
Fellas I bought some great looking  breasts to put on the kettle tonight.  Have to admit the kettle isn't my go to grill but I wanted to use charcoal and I was determined not to burn the chicken. So usually I place a basket of coals on both sides but tonight I decided to use just one basket and fill it up high. 

Placed the chicken right over the heat and left uncovered as I moved it around, and moved it off and on the heat.  When I looked the "done-ness" of how they looked I moved to in-direct.

After 20-30 minutes the temps were still 140ish, I lost patience,  and fired up the genny. 

Less than ten minutes later we were to temp and the breasts came out great. 

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: "Duel Fuel Chicken"
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 04:11:17 PM »
Looks good and I bet it tasted great, too.

By the way you have a lot of options with that kettle. Your first two setups would work totally indirect, but to cook chicken fast .... yeah that's gonna be direct. One thing you might consider next time, for wanting it quick-but-not-burned:

Ditch the baskets and spread the coals on the bottom. Heat will be more diffuse and less prone to potential flareups, yet cook quicker than indirect (I think; depends on how many coals etc.) You'd get in under your target time and with only one or two flips probably. In fact that method more closely mimics what the gasser usually does: direct, yet diffused.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 06:36:52 PM »
Why bother firing up charcoal if your not going to complete the task?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 06:40:00 PM »
Agreed Hoosier. Certainly could have lit more.  Next time.. . Time constraints....

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 06:44:34 PM »
Thanks Addicted...I will certainly try that.... scattered coals. 

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 06:47:46 PM »
Love this forum... thanks for the feedback.