Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Aluminum charcoal grate  (Read 1884 times)

ButtevilleBBQer

• Smokey Joe
Aluminum charcoal grate
« on: May 17, 2018, 08:15:34 AM »
I was thinking of having a guy at work router me out a aluminum charcoal grate.  A simple design that is round of the appropriate size and a bunch of round holes around 1" in diameter to allow airflow.  The choice on thickness is .080 and .125 gauge aluminum that is 5052 alloy and is used for road signs.  Would using aluminum as the charcoal grate cause any weird tastes or be harmful?  Would it melt?  I have a couple Old Smokey BBQ's and they are entirely made (except the top grill grate) of "aluminized steel" including the bottom charcoal grate.  What do you guys think?  Thanks.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Aluminum charcoal grate
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 08:19:00 AM »
It has a 1100-1200 deg F melting point, no other harmful attributes. Not sure whether it may sag over time from heat though
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 06:51:00 PM »
You should be fine.

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 09:16:52 PM »
Isn't aluminum suspect in brain disorders? Seems I read that somewhere. I prefer stainless in cooking pans, so prabably have a buildup of chromium in my system.
Oh never mind , you said charcoal grate.

Weber char baskets are aluminized.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 09:21:43 PM by TD »

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 02:39:24 AM »
Everything was/is/might be suspect in brain disorders.[emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Aluminum charcoal grate
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 02:55:50 AM »
Aluminized steel is steel with aluminum coating. So you can’t compare it to solid aluminum in terms of strength or melting properties.

I wouldn’t use aluminum for a charcoal grate. At .080 it will sag first use is my guess.

Is this for a 22 kettle?  Charcoal grates are only $11

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 02:58:00 AM by HoosierKettle »

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 03:10:07 AM »
Yup... not sure if aluminum is the way to go for a charcoal grate... not gonna last long me thinks. Just go get the real replacement...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

ButtevilleBBQer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 06:19:19 AM »
Thanks for the ideas.  If I go with the aluminum I'll keep you updated.  I just figured the grate would not rust in my Weber's and always looking to try something that might work better.  The stock Weber grates are cheap but rust and same with the aluminized steel ones from Old Smokey.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 06:48:45 AM »

Killa Grilla makes a SS charcoal grate. Should be much less prone to rust and corrosion.  It is 17" and replaces the Weber charcoal grate #7441.

http://killagrilla.com/item/round-bbq-stainless-charcoal-grill-grate-kg-weber-replacement
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 07:12:30 AM »
If your charcoal grate is rusting very much
you're not using the grill enough! 8)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 08:08:18 AM »
I would expect aluminum would warp, deform, and burn through faster and to a greater extent than the oem steel ones.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 01:48:36 PM »
Isn't aluminum suspect in brain disorders? Seems I read that somewhere. I prefer stainless in cooking pans, so prabably have a buildup of chromium in my system.

That has been disproven.

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 09:38:19 PM »
If you say so, Darko. Aluminum will rust. Maybe oxidizes. Powdery white stuff. Stinks.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 11:08:46 PM »

That has been disproven.

Link?
I had been researching aluminum in relation to dry herb vaporizers and the Alzheimers fear is strong. The supporting evidence seemed to match the arguments and I didn't see any clear proven winner.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 07:53:23 AM »

That has been disproven.

Link?
I had been researching aluminum in relation to dry herb vaporizers and the Alzheimers fear is strong. The supporting evidence seemed to match the arguments and I didn't see any clear proven winner.
http://alzheimer.ca/en/Home/About-dementia/Alzheimer-s-disease/Risk-factors/Aluminum