Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Prime striploin  (Read 2003 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Prime striploin
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2018, 08:43:19 AM »

I googled “green stuff” but was apparently added to some sort of FBI database... AGAIN.

FTFY
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 12:38:27 PM »
For a long time I really avoided NY Strips, still do in restaurants.  But, I've found that when I can pick them individually and cook them at home, they are pretty d@mn good.

Thanks for sharing yours ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2018, 07:02:07 PM »
Those look great. Were the steaks from Costco as well?  The last few times I've gotten steaks, I've gotten them at Highland but haven't tried their striploins yet.  Lococo's steaks seem to have gone down a bit in quality and up in price the last year or two.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 10:30:31 AM »
For a long time I really avoided NY Strips, still do in restaurants.  But, I've found that when I can pick them individually and cook them at home, they are pretty d@mn good.

Thanks for sharing yours ! ! !

BD

Yup. Usually, we get them from Costco, and they are damn gooood! Nuthin' like firing up the grill and doing it yerself!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2018, 08:23:20 PM »
Those look great. Were the steaks from Costco as well?  The last few times I've gotten steaks, I've gotten them at Highland but haven't tried their striploins yet.  Lococo's steaks seem to have gone down a bit in quality and up in price the last year or two.
Yes they were Costco. It was the first time I had seen  Prime steak there.  They were right beside the normal AAA grade and you could see the huge difference in the marbling.

Lococo's is getting their meat from the old Dorr Brothers plant on Highland and First road E. I think that plant is owned  by Cargill now. It has gone down in quality and up in price.

Overall, I prefer Highland. I just talk to the butchers & get whatever I want.

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 09:18:45 AM »
If you read the fine print on the package labels or the flyers for Lococo's, it states that the steaks are cut from AA beef or better.  I've been suspecting that it means Lococo's has been using AA across the board for some time now since it's been quite a while since I've had excellent steaks from them. I actually went off striploins because they've gotten tougher and tougher as time's passed.

However, my step grandmother came for dinner a couple of days ago and I visited Highland and picked up two angus striploins. They were fantastic and we enjoyed eating outside for the first time this season.  I'm not a Costco member so I think I'm going to stick with Highland for steaks for now.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 08:04:14 PM »
You will never go wrong with Highland.