Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Friday cook on father-in-law’s vintage weber gasser  (Read 779 times)

Transit98

• WKC Brave
Friday cook on father-in-law’s vintage weber gasser
« on: May 11, 2018, 05:57:06 PM »
So wife went to a tricky tray. Im with the kids and father in-law. He leaves to get some Italian down the street and I through a spatchcock chicken on his grill.

Ends up the grill hadn’t been clean from last season. He goes out, I close the cover and hang out with the kids. Fast forward 10 minutes, grease fire, black smoke, burning fire from the grease pan up.

Thank God a hose was right there. Took of chicken first. Put out fire. Brought the kids inside. Set over to 375 and finished the bird. Only have pics before the [emoji91]

Be careful to know the grill you are using.

Told my father in-law when he got back. Says he only cooks with the top open. Who Knew?

Grill is in grate shape except for the grease in the cook box. [emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Friday cook on father-in-law’s vintage weber gasser
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 06:23:37 PM »
Good perseverance. Gassers scare the crap out of me. Anything happens, and the gas still flows regardless.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 06:30:50 PM »

Good perseverance. Gassers scare the crap out of me. Anything happens, and the gas still flows regardless.
First thing I did was shut the gas off. I could not believe how many tjmes the thing flared back up. Definitely neglected proper cleaning. The chicken skin didn’t help.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 06:50:10 PM »
That's what I don't understand about gas grillsl. If you close the lid, does the flare up still never cease, or is there enough air to keep it going? I'm guessing the latter, since the flame doesn't go out and make a "gas leak."
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 12:31:26 AM »
That's what I don't understand about gas grillsl. If you close the lid, does the flare up still never cease, or is there enough air to keep it going? I'm guessing the latter, since the flame doesn't go out and make a "gas leak."

If you get a grease fire in a gasser, closing the lid isn't going to help at all.   Even flareups off fatty things like ribeyes and burgers will rage on until the grease is gone.