Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hunsaker Vortex Clone  (Read 3542 times)

robert-r

• WKC Brave
Hunsaker Vortex Clone
« on: January 05, 2018, 08:18:30 PM »
So... brew-haha here & there regarding the Hunsaker Vortex for the WSM. Wanted to see what it's all about... how well it works... if it works.

Since I have more time than money & a fair amount of material left over from other projects, I thought I'd make a clone for the 18.5 WSM.

Now all I have to do is try it out!
18.5 & 14.5 WSMs, 26.5 XL, 22.5 Performer, JJ, SJ, Genesis 330, OKJ Highland, Stackers, Roti Rings & Stick Burning Al Pastore Cooker

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Hunsaker Vortex Clone
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 08:27:13 PM »
Wish I had your skill. Nicely done bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robert-r

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 08:32:24 PM »
Wish I had your skill. Nicely done bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I'm self taught & not afraid to do things two or three times or more. Just like learning to walk, ride a bicycle or cooking, you learn.
18.5 & 14.5 WSMs, 26.5 XL, 22.5 Performer, JJ, SJ, Genesis 330, OKJ Highland, Stackers, Roti Rings & Stick Burning Al Pastore Cooker

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 01:53:04 AM »
Impressive work. I thought that the bottom of the Hunsaker vortex was a grate and it looks like you have a solid piece of steel on the he bottom. I think that you may want to replace that with a grate or cut some holes.

robert-r

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 05:00:59 AM »
Impressive work. I thought that the bottom of the Hunsaker vortex was a grate and it looks like you have a solid piece of steel on the he bottom. I think that you may want to replace that with a grate or cut some holes.

Thanks. As pictured, it's sitting on a welding table. It's open on the bottom. In use, it will sit on the charcoal grate of the 18.5 WSM.

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 07:11:09 AM »
Wow, that's some impressive work. Looking forward to reading your thoughts after the first cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 09:23:25 AM »

Thanks. As pictured, it's sitting on a welding table. It's open on the bottom. In use, it will sit on the charcoal grate of the 18.5 WSM.
That makes a lot of sense.

Let us know how it works compared to the traditional WSM charcoal ring.

Also, if it works well, would you consider making one for a grillfella?

WMT

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 11:03:21 AM »
I agree with the rest, great fab skills. Let us know how it works

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 03:24:31 PM »
Wow, super impressive!
Wish I had those skills, let us know how it works out for you.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 04:27:48 AM »
Like I've been sayin' for the past few years-the Vortex Firebasket will change your life!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 07:54:27 AM »
I'm revisiting a few Hunsaker Vortex-related posts this morning. And yes, @robert-r your clone looks awesome. Put me down for one also :)

Or ... not? Hunsaker's site says their's also works on the 18.5" so I suppose there's been some kind of change. As recently as March, Harry Soo was noting on his site that it's still only for the 22.5.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch