Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First attempt at hot and fast ribs  (Read 2008 times)

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
First attempt at hot and fast ribs
« on: April 29, 2018, 06:04:15 AM »
I've been wanting to try this for a while and I finally had a chance yesterday. I got some tips from @HoosierKettle  and was on my way. I didn't bother with actually monitoring the temperature and just ran with the recommended vent settings, full lit chimney, half open on bottom, fully open on top.

Overall they were really good! I think I put too much juice in the foil though so next time I'll put less. I think it is pretty comparable to low n slow, but I'll need to do both a few more times before I could make a final vote (I haven't made ribs that much to know all the nuances). I think these were slightly less tender, but still pulled off the bone cleanly. I also wasn't monitoring temps so that might made a difference. In any case this is definitely a keeper technique though to get ribs in less than half the time!

Also just as a note to myself I made brussel sprouts on the kettle for the first time. I just tossed them in oil, salt pepper, garlic and put the cast iron in the grate. At first I and them spread over the entire pan but half the pan was over the coals and the sprouts burned so I pushed them all to the side. I had them on the grill for 45 minutes which was too long as they were too soft for me. Next time I'll check on them earlier.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 06:20:52 AM by Firemunkee »
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
Re: First attempt at hot and fast ribs
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 07:20:08 AM »
looks delicious. Nice cook JC.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 08:52:46 AM »
Great pull back on the bones, great color, great smoke ring. They look great all around.  You can really play with this method to tweak it to your liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 07:29:07 PM »
Great pull back on the bones, great color, great smoke ring. They look great all around.  You can really play with this method to tweak it to your liking.

Thanks for the tips! How much juice do you put in the foil? One day I hope to make sauce like yours and then I'm sure these ribs will be amazing

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 07:53:03 AM »
Looks good to me!  Great cook!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 08:23:20 AM »

Thanks for the tips! How much juice do you put in the foil? One day I hope to make sauce like yours and then I'm sure these ribs will be amazing

I don't measure it but I would guess 2-3 tablespoons maybe?  The foil is pretty full of juices from the pork after the second hour.  I usually take them out, sauce, and put back on for a few minutes each side.

My sauce isn't anything to fancy and I only make it in small batches for what I'm cooking at the time.  It's just a 1/4 cup of ketchup, 1/4 cup of cider vinegar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, a squirt of yellow mustard, worcestershire, hot sauce, honey and a dash of tony's seasoning.  combined and heated in a sauce pan.  I always have those ingredients on hand so it's easy to make.  It's tangy due to the high ratio of vinegar but it's great as a basting sauce at the end of a cook.

For years my hot and fast method consisted of 2 hours of indirect heat (400ish) no wrap or juice.  I didn't even know it was called "hot and fast" lol.  Those turn out very good as well imo.  It wasn't until vwengguy posted a similar method which included wrapping the second hour that I tried it.  I think it's a big improvement to what I was already doing.

Now I need to cook ribs soon!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 04:55:49 PM »
I bought full spare ribs at sams and cut the tips off to cook separate. This thread inspired me to cook ribs. I’m almost at the two hour mark and fought low temps all night. Fired up used coal and was struggling at 325. I finally fired up another half chimney to keep things moving. Sometime used coal does just fine. Other times not. The second hour has been at 375 wrapped. Here they are at one hour. I hope they finish soon. I’ll have a lynch mob waiting for me.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 04:57:39 PM by HoosierKettle »

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 04:58:32 PM »
Hot and fast ribs...I know it can be done because I have done it...I prefer low and slow...Why be in a hurry...

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 04:59:07 PM »

Hot and fast ribs...I know it can be done because I have done it...I prefer low and slow...Why be in a hurry...

Because it’s Monday [emoji3][emoji41]

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 05:34:15 PM »
No complaints tonight. [emoji3]. Thanks for the nudge to do ribs [emoji106]

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 06:38:37 PM »
No complaints tonight. [emoji3]. Thanks for the nudge to do ribs [emoji106]

Thanks for the tips that helped me made rib, which then nudged you to be make ribs. Thanks for sharing your cook and now I want to make ribs again. It's an endless cycle [emoji16]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 07:30:21 PM »
Simply because I can have ribs anytime without too much waiting. Since I learned about hot and fast, I haven't done low & slow ribs. IMO there just wasn't enough difference to make it worthwhile.

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 07:42:02 PM »
My last 2 rib cooks were hot and fast. I think they were the best ribs I ever made, even the wife and mom agree

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 08:20:10 PM »
Based on all the high praises of hot and fast I must have done something wrong. I need to try again, or @HoosierKettle @Darko @Harleysmoker you all need to invite me over so I can try your ribs :D

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 04:35:36 AM »

My last 2 rib cooks were hot and fast. I think they were the best ribs I ever made, even the wife and mom agree

Hot and fast are our favorite too. The truth is I suck at low and slow.  I mess them up every time