Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Triangle with only two cross pieces?  (Read 754 times)

putoluto

• WKC Brave
Triangle with only two cross pieces?
« on: May 30, 2018, 05:46:59 PM »
I ran across a black kettle today in a backyard in Irvine. It was 18-inches and had three wooden handles (two bowl, one lid) and classic plastic wheels. No OTS, all daisy wheel vents.  I did not get a chance to snap a pic or look her over in detail, but I did notice the triangle was unusual. Instead of the usual 6 V-shaped supports between he outer triangle members, there were two and they were longitudinal, I believe. I looked closely and did not see any indication that there had previously been other cross-member supports that had been broken off, I saw no burrs or what would look like snapped ends.

I'm tempted to go back and try to sneak a pic if I can, don't know if I am able.

If it were any color but black I would have made an offer on it right there on the spot. If it is a rare breed, I may go back and try to contact the disinterested and uninformed owner.

Has anyone seen a triangle like that before?

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Triangle with only two cross pieces?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 05:59:04 PM »
pretty common.

i don't recall the specific models that used that triangle. I'm sure @Craig remembers :)

I think it was the bbq kettles in the 90s and the econo-ish kettles.
I think modern OTS comes with that triangle as well

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 06:02:18 PM »
Troy, great info, thanks. I feel kinda dumb that it's so common and I've never noticed or seen one like it before.  Guess that thing is a roach then, glad I didn't offer him cash for it, lol!

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 06:41:05 PM »
Yeah, here's a pic of one like the one I saw. Apparently not uncommon. Disappointing. Thanks for the bubble bursting, :)

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/for/d/weber-kettle-bbq-grill-18/6600989978.html

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 08:17:15 PM »
Your pic of the more modern one is typical of them for the last 20yrs roughly: one bowl handle.

I like the two-bowl-handle 18s because they can be ... wait for it ... easily picked up. Never liked rolling an 18; you have to stoop over more, and risk ripping it back while pulling it along. And three wooden handles, just waiting to be sanded and polished???

Ida prolly tried to snag it, just ‘cause.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 08:31:32 PM »
Yeah - three wood handles,  but I’m at my limit, per Mrs PutoLuto. Ya know how that goes.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 03:20:45 AM »
"...has one funky wheel..."

...ya mean one backwards wheel????

:)
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.