Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Water Pans  (Read 602 times)

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Water Pans
« on: April 24, 2018, 12:30:15 PM »
Lot's of mention of water pans lately. If I'm using a water pan, there's NEVER any water in it. I use it as a heat baffle. What I do is, crumble up some wads of aluminum foil, place in the bowl, then cover the bowl with a sheet of aluminum foil, slightly dipped in the middle to catch the drippings. Works wonderful. And my bowls are larger than stock. Try it. All I'm sayin'...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 12:32:09 PM by hawgheaven »
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
Re: Water Pans
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 12:41:08 PM »
I don't use them anymore. When I had the WSM, I lined the water pan with foil, filled with sand and then gave it a foil topper. Super easy clean up compared to dealing with the nasty water mess and the temps seemed more even and stable. A little more fuel efficient with the sand vs water too.
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Water Pans
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 12:57:50 PM »
I will give foil balls a try sometime.  I used a clay saucer lined with foil in my mini for a pork butt over the weekend. It cooked great but the scorched grease did have a slight impact on flavor. I will probably use a drip pan next time. If I’m cooking on the top rack only.

I’m not sure my water pan in the 18 is deep enough to accommodate both drippings and foil balls for something like a pork butt.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Water Pans
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 01:27:24 PM »
I will give foil balls a try sometime.  I used a clay saucer lined with foil in my mini for a pork butt over the weekend. It cooked great but the scorched grease did have a slight impact on flavor. I will probably use a drip pan next time. If I’m cooking on the top rack only.

I’m not sure my water pan in the 18 is deep enough to accommodate both drippings and foil balls for something like a pork butt.

When I had a clay saucer in my mini WSM it cracked. And if your 18 is an old one with the shallow pan, this Brinkmann fits. Also works great in a 22 kettle when using a snake. Beware the paint chips easily, https://www.amazon.com/Brinkmann-812-0002-0-Smoker-Charcoal-15-Inch/dp/B0049EYYCS
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch