Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A new cleaning method  (Read 1665 times)

saxart

• WKC Ranger
A new cleaning method
« on: April 17, 2018, 07:15:37 PM »
Just wanted to share a bit about a recently discovered kettle cleaning method.   I used to use oven cleaner, but didn't like the cost and fumes.  Yesterday, while leaving my parent's house after delivering some parts to my father, I see this at the end of their neighbor's driveway.  (Yeah, it's been an incredible month)   Anyway, I thought it would be a good opportunity to explain the cleaning method.

Here's the secret....  Laundry Detergent.  It works great.  Cleaning set up is:  Tide, spray bottle, razor black, stainless scrubby, 0000-steel wool.

Standard solution is 1/4 tide, and 3/4 water solution in the squirt bottle.  (In this case it's just a bottle that was left over from a previous product.)   Spray the inside of the lid or kettle and let sit for about an hour with a quick respray halfway through.   Come back in with the razor blade and most of the gunk will be softened enough that it will come off fairly easily.  Here is a lid soaking.  You may be able to tell, there is a fiberglass wash tub in the background, I usually just lay the lid or bowl in that sink while it's soaking.

Keep in mind this still isn't an easy process, but it's nice because it doesn't make as much of a mess and can be done inside the house.  I also like the fact that it's not caustic on the kettle like oven cleaner would be.   

She cleaned up nice!

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 07:19:40 PM by saxart »
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Paul Isa

• WKC Brave
Re: A new cleaning method
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 07:43:07 PM »
Interesting.  I'm selling a 18" WSM soon, I'm gonna give it a try.

randy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 02:52:28 AM »
What’s the coiled copper tubing and turkey fryer for?
Nice pickup!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 03:30:08 AM »
Holy cow! At first, I thought you took a staged photo of your Red Speckle on the curb, as some sort of joke worthy of the Twilight Zone.

I hope I can have a taste!! :)
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

MauroBBQ

• WKC Brave
    • Mauro's BBQ
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 05:21:55 AM »
@Paul Isa
Selling?
Interesting...

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
22" Performer - SJG:N code - GA: P code - Weber Q 1000 - Weber Q 2000 - WSM 22"
Youtube page: Mauro's BBQ
email: maurobbq73@gmail.com

jacko1962

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 05:52:04 AM »
I will give it a try this weekend. I also use https://www.amazon.com/MagiDeal-Natural-Bottle-Stopper-Tapered/dp/B078JN33V2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1524059371&sr=8-3&keywords=tapered+wine+cork to block up all the vent holes. I modified my own from consumed wine. Nice thig is the cleaning liquid does not drip out and make a mess.
Weber Genesis 1000 Black with all red oak, 1992 Redhead Performer.  2014 18.5 black. 1985 Black GA

Looking for P code Red Premium Master touch and a EO code Blue Premium Master touch .

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 08:38:51 AM »
Good tip.

I will give it a try this weekend. I also use https://www.amazon.com/MagiDeal-Natural-Bottle-Stopper-Tapered/dp/B078JN33V2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1524059371&sr=8-3&keywords=tapered+wine+cork to block up all the vent holes. I modified my own from consumed wine. Nice thig is the cleaning liquid does not drip out and make a mess.
regards,
Hal

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 04:41:10 PM »
Nice pickup!

Randy-
Didn't even notice it was in the pic until it posted, then wondered if anybody would notice.  You get the award.  LOL

The turkey fryer and copper coils are used for my other hobby.  Homebrewing beer.    ;D

Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

randy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 05:05:41 PM »

Nice pickup!

Randy-
Didn't even notice it was in the pic until it posted, then wondered if anybody would notice.  You get the award.  LOL

The turkey fryer and copper coils are used for my other hobby.  Homebrewing beer.    ;D
I don’t brew myself, my neighbors does and I’m his second set of hand. The neighborhood got a lot better when he moved in.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 05:12:10 PM »
Oxiclean powder works very well also. You just have to first  fully dissolve it with water. I've never tried but the liquid  form probably works just as well.

KEVHES

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 05:52:31 PM »
I was finishing a project today that needed cleaning ( light cleaning ) so I tried this method. While I was at it, I used it on another 18 that is as bad as any dirty bbq I’ve ever seen. Let it sit for maybe 30 minutes, used a hose only and without even touching it most of the gunk hoses off. I’d imagine with a scraper and 0000 wool that I just made that job 100x easier.
Smokey joe. 18” kettle. 22.5” kettle. “Weber” UDS 55 gallon. 22.5 Weber performer.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 08:36:58 PM »
Does the tide soften creosote or just lubricate the surface for the razor?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

KEVHES

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 09:42:06 PM »
Does the tide soften creosote or just lubricate the surface for the razor?

From what I saw today it did both. Junk was just falling off the sides with only my hose 
Smokey joe. 18” kettle. 22.5” kettle. “Weber” UDS 55 gallon. 22.5 Weber performer.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 07:47:22 PM »
Any pics before you started cleaning?
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..