Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New grill! OTP!  (Read 1535 times)

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
New grill! OTP!
« on: April 22, 2018, 03:13:42 PM »
Correct me if I’m wrong (or verify if I am correct), but I believe this is a One-Touch Platinum. It popped up on my local Craigslist today for free. FREE!! I texted the guy right away (ad was only 20 minutes old) and I was the first responder. However, I am currently out of state visiting the inlaws and I couldn’t pick it up until tomorrow. My buddy, Jordan, lived 3 minutes away and picked it up for me! I’ll see it in person tomorrow hopefully. I informed Jordan that he is worthy of grillfella status, especially since he owns a nice 18” Mikes Hard logo kettle.

I don’t know how old it is but it is in great condition. I’ll post more pics in a day or two, but I am very excited about this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Cellar2ful

Re: New grill! OTP!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 03:30:46 PM »

Yep.  One Touch Platinum.  Free is always the best price.  Those tables can be restored to look brand new using this method as they are made of the same material. I've done a couple of them.

http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2017/02/20/weber-performer-table-restoration/

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 03:33:07 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 04:12:18 PM »
score !

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 05:52:13 PM »

Yep.  One Touch Platinum.  Free is always the best price.  Those tables can be restored to look brand new using this method as they are made of the same material. I've done a couple of them.

http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2017/02/20/weber-performer-table-restoration/
Hey thanks Jim! I will remember that!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 07:26:45 PM »
Nice pick up!  Only Weber kettle with this lid bale setup and a center lid vent.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 11:43:35 PM »
NICE score!
regards,
Hal

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 01:54:00 AM »
Grate score
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 02:44:54 AM »
Nice score!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
New grill! OTP!
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 04:46:42 AM »
Nice pick up!  Only Weber kettle with this lid bale setup and a center lid vent.
Yup! And I always put the vent opposite the fire, so I’m not sure how my methods will change. I’ll probably just live with it. Or maybe it should be my dedicated kettle pizza cooker??

I may also use it to trade for a Red O Code SSP..... hmmmm

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 04:53:13 AM by Schaefd2 »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 05:32:26 AM »
With that center vent and tip-back lid, it's an ideal setup for using twin charcoal baskets left/right and food in the middle. Think of it as a rectangular cook area about 13x9 and you'll be good. And yes, a 13x9 casserole dish fits that way.

@Schaefd2 I've always been interested in those but have never understood the date range. They have wheels and lid thermo that suggests mid/late-2000s but also came in burgundy or maroon which hints more at early-mid 2000s, but Weber was still using the long stem lid thermo on mid-2000s Performers (2nd gen). Maybe the lid thermo is shared with Genesis. Did early/mid-2000s OTG have a lid thermo, like this? Do I need any more coffee this morning?

I have a later red SSP (ER). Gotta be an O?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 05:45:06 AM »
With that center vent and tip-back lid, it's an ideal setup for using twin charcoal baskets left/right and food in the middle. Think of it as a rectangular cook area about 13x9 and you'll be good. And yes, a 13x9 casserole dish fits that way.

@Schaefd2 I've always been interested in those but have never understood the date range. They have wheels and lid thermo that suggests mid/late-2000s but also came in burgundy or maroon which hints more at early-mid 2000s, but Weber was still using the long stem lid thermo on mid-2000s Performers (2nd gen). Maybe the lid thermo is shared with Genesis. Did early/mid-2000s OTG have a lid thermo, like this? Do I need any more coffee this morning?

ah the setup you described makes sense! I will try it that way, and now i should probably FINALLY get some charcoal baskets....
I have no idea about the date range that this was made; I couldnt find it in any of the history pages on this website. I will check the vent code when I pick this up from my buddy tonight.

The red SSP doesnt have to be an O code, I just happened to see one at my brother's neighbor's house. I knocked on the door to offer to buy it, but he wasnt home. The SSP frame is so rusted, it barely stands up by itself, but if I could get it for $20 or trade a normal kettle for it, I will totally get it. I dont have metal-working skills, but I do have woodworking skills. I want to turn the rusted SSP into a Sequioa/SSP hybrid cooker. SSP platform, stained wood cabinet bottom.

MauroBBQ

• WKC Brave
    • Mauro's BBQ
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 10:56:33 AM »
U Da Man!!!
Nice Score
Need some of those opportunities in El Paso TX area.....!!!
22" Performer - SJG:N code - GA: P code - Weber Q 1000 - Weber Q 2000 - WSM 22"
Youtube page: Mauro's BBQ
email: maurobbq73@gmail.com

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 12:48:24 PM »
I picked one up recently.  Something in the red family.  Don't know if it is maroon, brick, burgundy or what exactly.  Haven't cooked on it yet.  Thanks for your comments. 

regards,
Hal

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 01:39:22 PM »
Free is always good. Nice score.

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 03:28:30 PM »
That's cool! Congrats!