Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Almost Charcoal hoarding season  (Read 3985 times)

ZebraZoo

• Smokey Joe
Re: Almost Charcoal hoarding season
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2018, 07:02:36 PM »
Anyone know who makes the Weber charcoal?

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 10:47:21 PM »
@GoAnywhereJeep where do you get that stuff

Order it online through DoItBest and pick it up at my local affiliate.
https://www.doitbest.com/products/838136

Should I expect to see RO any cheaper than $4.99 a bag at Lowe’s?? 

The "Embers" brand at Home depot is $4.99 every day and the RO briquettes in the red bag are over $5 a bag and up to $5.99 per bag at Lowes. I have seen them on sale at 2 for 1 at Lowes on memorial day.
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 05:46:24 AM »
Stubbs or Weber
+1 on this[emoji121]
Love the Stubb's and Weber coals.
+2 as I will buy this when it is on significant sale.

My daily go-to charcoal is GFS Lump. I LOVE the stuff. $14 for 20# too!
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 07:55:57 AM »
I've tried Stubbs and I really like it for long cooks. I haven't tried Weber brand yet. I hope to get some whenever it goes on sale.
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 07:57:44 AM »

Thanks for sharing this! I've heard great things about ROCS. The closest pickup from me is an hour into DC. I'm not to fond of driving into the city but at least I know how to get it!
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 08:03:25 AM »

Thanks for sharing this! I've heard great things about ROCS. The closest pickup from me is an hour into DC. I'm not to fond of driving into the city but at least I know how to get it!

Buy in bulk for fewer trips. That's what I do. I have to drive about a half hour each way to get it. And I drive through Oakland and Berkeley to go there. The store is on the island/town of Alameda and traffic sucks there especially if one or more of the bridges are up.
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 08:08:16 AM »
Kingsford is ok...but honestly, it seems the quality has diminished a little in recent years. So much so that RO seems to be a better buy and it’s always $5-6 a bag (plus I don’t have to take up space in the garage storing it).

That said, I’m waiting for the Stubbs one day lowes sale (sometimes it’s late summer...last year it was in May) and I’ll couple it with an online coupon.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
... and you'll keep me posted so I can remove whatever leftovers you do not take from our local Lowes

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 08:33:14 AM »

Kingsford is ok...but honestly, it seems the quality has diminished a little in recent years. So much so that RO seems to be a better buy and it’s always $5-6 a bag (plus I don’t have to take up space in the garage storing it).

That said, I’m waiting for the Stubbs one day lowes sale (sometimes it’s late summer...last year it was in May) and I’ll couple it with an online coupon.

Love those online coupons. Haha

2 Genesis A summit Gold B a Performer a homemade cabinet pellet smoker and a big piece of pipe buried in the ground

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2018, 09:19:04 AM »
My local Lowes still has Weber Briqs 20# for $11.99
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2018, 05:22:28 AM »
I just went to lowes and got a 20lb of Webers at for 11.99$ and a 14lb of Stubs for 9.99

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2018, 05:41:10 AM »
I am not a fan of the Blue Bag. My go to is RO, both lump and briqs. I gotta try the Weber product tho... been hearing some good shit about them...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2018, 04:44:20 PM »
Lowe’s has RO for $4 a bag now. Thinking I’ll get 25 bags as I can get it down to $0.22 a pound including tax with a $20 off $100 coupon

Great timing as I just opened my last bag this past weekend

2 Genesis A summit Gold B a Performer a homemade cabinet pellet smoker and a big piece of pipe buried in the ground

wrz0170

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2018, 07:11:56 PM »
Being totally new to the charcoal game, I picked up two, twin bags of KO for 11.60.  4 bags should get me started.   After I’m done or nearly done with the bags, I really look forward to trying different brands ie Stubbs, Weber, RO etc.   I guess that’s half the fun!

William

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2018, 07:27:44 PM »
Being totally new to the charcoal game, I picked up two, twin bags of KO for 11.60.  4 bags should get me started.   After I’m done or nearly done with the bags, I really look forward to trying different brands ie Stubbs, Weber, RO etc.   I guess that’s half the fun!

William

You're right! Honestly, a lot of pit masters like Harry Soo, buy whatever is on sale (usually KBB) and win Grand Championships. When grilling I prefer RO usually because its the cheapest and comparable to KBB. When smoking in the WSM, I usually use whatever bag I have open closest to the chimney.

After trying half a dozen different kinds, Stubbs is my favorite briquette...followed by Weber.

Stuff will be on sale periodically from May-September. Charcoal is a lot like toilet paper. You're going to use it so buy it when it's on sale/on clearance.

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2018, 08:21:25 PM »
I bought quite a few bags early 2017 when Walmart had the twin packs for $5. And honestly I wasn’t a fan at first however I was still pretty green to charcoal. So I started using it mostly for my short grilling cooks like chicken breasts burgers and steaks. Now I have a better feel for it and it’s temperament.   I have not used it on many long cooks yet and I still feel personally I don’t get the longevity of burn some seem to but I’m not going to complain for the price. Just learn your pit

I also believe that this year I will experiment more with lump pending what deals I can find