Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Almost Charcoal hoarding season  (Read 3972 times)

au4stree

• WKC Brave
Re: Almost Charcoal hoarding season
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2018, 03:25:34 AM »

I bought quite a few bags early 2017 when Walmart had the twin packs for $5. And honestly I wasn’t a fan at first however I was still pretty green to charcoal. So I started using it mostly for my short grilling cooks like chicken breasts burgers and steaks. Now I have a better feel for it and it’s temperament.   I have not used it on many long cooks yet and I still feel personally I don’t get the longevity of burn some seem to but I’m not going to complain for the price. Just learn your pit

I also believe that this year I will experiment more with lump pending what deals I can find

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Just to add, I came from using lump in my big steel keg, the Weber branded briqs or stubb’s briqs are as close to lump as it gets, IMO. They burn long, produce minimal ash and can be reused if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Piggs McGee BBQ
"We're kind of a big deal"

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2018, 07:34:14 PM »
Got my 25 today

2 Genesis A summit Gold B a Performer a homemade cabinet pellet smoker and a big piece of pipe buried in the ground

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2018, 02:56:53 AM »
Oh man I need to restock. I bought a bunch of RO briqs and I can't them started with a chimney and a few wads of newspaper like I can with KBB. I have to continuously refuel the chimney with paper (something like 10 pages total) or use the gas assist on my performer for a few minutes to get the coals going. This is the case with all 12 bags I bought. Is this typical?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2018, 03:06:12 AM »

Oh man I need to restock. I bought a bunch of RO briqs and I can't them started with a chimney and a few wads of newspaper like I can with KBB. I have to continuously refuel the chimney with paper (something like 10 pages total) or use the gas assist on my performer for a few minutes to get the coals going. This is the case with all 12 bags I bought. Is this typical?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I don’t think so. I don’t recall having trouble getting ro started. I use grease soaked paper towels left over from wiping out my skillet so they burn hotter and longer than plain paper.

au4stree

• WKC Brave
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2018, 07:40:24 PM »
Stubb’s @ Lowe’s $7.99 a bag until 5/29. Stock up boys!

Piggs McGee BBQ

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2018, 09:48:46 PM »
My walmart has twin 15lb bags for 7.88 but lowes has twin 18lb bags for 9.99

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2018, 04:44:43 AM »
Charcoal hoarding season is one of my favorite holiday seasons, along with “LOOK!! Plants!!!” and “Hang in just a bit longer, those kids won’t be home all day in another two weeks” season. I just bought a bag of that 30lb for $10 lump at Walmart to try it out and plan on getting some Stubbs in my way home from work tonight.

I feel a “charcoal tasting” taking place this weekend...  lol

Raindog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2018, 07:36:54 AM »
Won't be hoarding at $22.99 a bag but at least my local Ace hardware still stocks.

http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2018/05/24/briq.th.jpg

au4stree

• WKC Brave
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2018, 08:01:17 AM »
The Weber briqs are really good for low/slow but I’ve found Stubbs to be just as good. Unless I can get a deal on Weber, I’ll just stick to Stubbs. Of course, KBB or RO for hot/fast cooks.

Piggs McGee BBQ

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2018, 08:22:37 AM »
Thats ridiculous.
Weber.com shows the MSRP @ $14.99 for a 20 pound bag.

Show that to the dealer.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/accessories/cooking/charcoal-briquettes-and-accessories/17950.html?cgid=1341