Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Orange and Black Speckled Weber Bros 18 (pic heavy)  (Read 14783 times)

saxart

• WKC Ranger
Orange and Black Speckled Weber Bros 18 (pic heavy)
« on: April 14, 2018, 09:37:01 AM »
It seems I have come across a true "1 of 1" Weber Bros 18" kettle.  Part of this thread is a show and tell of sorts, but more importantly a request for some info and possible history.  I am very honored to have this kettle.  Here we go....

Here is a shot of the lid of the kettle the day I first saw it in person.  At this point I knew it was something special.

Here is a shot of the kettle and lid out in the sunlight.   The color of this one can be described as "bright burnt orange", kind of a persimmon color.  The finish has a bumpy texture, very similar to the texture of a spatter finish you would see on drywall.   It's not paint, but porcelain like all of our kettles.

A few days later it was cleaned up.  The grill only came as a bowl and lid.  No legs or grates.  Having said that, it didn't appear to be cooked on much at all, and must have been stored inside as the lid vent rivet was rust free.   The kettle and lid was cleaned up using my favorite 1/4 laundry detergent and 3/4 water cleaning technique.  (more on that later)  Here are some "cleaned up" shots of the lid and bowl:

Being that this grill is a Weber Bros, and has the early "welded pipe" leg sockets, it was begging for an ash-pan triangle.  A local metal-man was found who could bend up a custom triangle out of 14ga bare steel.  I welded up the corners as well as the front leg "tab" and axle straps on the bottom.

Once the pan was fabricated, it was time to choose a paint color.  A forum member was able to help by providing this pic of one in original paint.

Finally, the grill was assembled. 

I would like to thank a few forum members for your help.  (You know who you are)  Without your assist, this build would not have been possible!

If you have ANY info about a grill like this, please inform us.  This kettle is truly an honor to own and have worked on!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 04:40:23 PM by saxart »
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

saxart

• WKC Ranger
Re: A Request For Info. (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 09:41:10 AM »
More pics...

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 09:43:31 AM »

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 09:44:04 AM »
That is absolutely amazing . I could look at that baby all day ! Congrats that’s something to be proud of !!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

jdorn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 09:51:35 AM »
Wow! That thing is incredible. May be the coolest kettle I've ever seen a pic of.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 09:59:32 AM »
WOW! That's friggin' awesome, gorgeous, amazing!!!!

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 10:03:04 AM »
That is beautiful.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 10:10:11 AM »
Holy smokes crikey mate WTF OMG OH Sh!T that is one incredible kettle!!! Amazing find, she is beautiful. I love it! Congrats!!
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 10:17:06 AM »
That's one of the coolest kettles I've ever seen! Local find?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 10:28:41 AM »
WOW!!!! That may be my favorite kettle ever!! (Tied with the meat cut!) Black and red are my favorite!!!! Congrats dude!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 10:29:34 AM »
That's astonishing! Would love to know the backstory.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 10:44:46 AM »
That is rarer than rare....astonishing indeed.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 10:50:50 AM »
That’s one seriously beautiful kettle and great job with the build. I’m really looking forward to seeing if there’s more info about it. I can only imagine what it’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bertl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 11:04:06 AM »
SPEECHLESS

Sent from my SM-G920F using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Cellar2ful

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 11:10:16 AM »

OMG! When you messaged me with the triangle question, it was an understatement when you said you had come across a special kettle.  You just made a whole bunch of guys (me included) jealous. One thing for sure, you just made it virtually impossible for me to have a complete collection of 18" MBH's.  (lol)  Congratulations Art.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"