Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Is Master Touch Too Top Heavy  (Read 1813 times)

Loudoun Grill

• Happy Cooker
Is Master Touch Too Top Heavy
« on: April 13, 2018, 01:47:54 PM »
Hey,

Finally decided to get a new Weber and was trying to decide between the Original Premium and the Master Touch. I like the height and lid holder of the Master Touch, but at the store, I noticed that it seemed pretty top heavy and, frankly, somewhat wobbly. The premium was fine. Poking around on the web, I found that others have noticed the same thing.

I've seen some people mention that the top heaviness isn't a problem if you're not moving the grill around. But here's the thing, I'm planning on getting the KettlePizza kit, which will add even more weight to the kettle. Also, while I won't be moving the grill around, I will be moving pizzas around, i.e. I'm going to be pushing and pulling on kettle to some degree to turn the pizzas in the oven. I'm concerned that the combination of the more weight from the KittlePizza kit and the force of moving around the pizzas might be a bit much for the already shaky Master Touch.

What are people's thoughts on the stability of the Master Touch and has anyone used a KettlePizza kit with it?

Thanks any help,
Mark

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
Re: Is Master Touch Too Top Heavy
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 02:09:56 PM »
Hmmm, not to derail your search, but if stability is a concern, you can't beat a performer. Even the most basic performer with a flip down side table will be more stable than a triangle.
I used to think the original 22" was wobbly, but then I got a new 26" and decided the 22" wasnt too bad by comparison. The 26" will twist so much that I worry about the leg sockets. It doesn't get moved much.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 03:55:33 PM »
   I'm surprised nobody has come up with this yet. The best counterweight  is the weber work table 7413. Whenever they pop up in my area I grab them.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

Loudoun Grill

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 04:18:52 PM »
Thanks to both.

Thought about the performer. Didn't think about the work table. However, both might have the issue of space (and cost). I already have a smoker and a gas grill so trying to keep the patio from looking like Sanford and Son's backyard. Was hoping someone had some MacGyver fix to the stability issue or that it wasn't that bad.

Again, thanks for the ideas. Looks like I might just go with the premium (which is great, btw) and live with the height and hooking the lid on the side. When making a pizza, I don't need to be worried about the whole thing falling over. The model that I saw at the store was pretty sketchy without adding a bunch of weight - I'd get the Kettlepizza kit with the baking steel, which is 18 lbs. just by itself plus the weight of the rest of the kit. That's a lot of weight on an already unstable base. Plus, my kids would want to help so no messing around.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 04:25:10 PM »
Welcome to WJC, Mark. As the legs got longer for the M-T, they also splay out more. In other words the leg sockets are at the same location as with other 22.5" kettles. So there's that.

The only issue (with ANY of their kettles) is to be careful on very windy days if placing the lid in the lid bale.

As for KettlePizza, I would not use a Master-Touch. If doing a super high heat such as for neapolitan, the lid bale rollers melt. But you could replace them with stainless steel ferrules perhaps.

About $20 worth of aluminum shower curtain rods (the cheap ones are $6 or so at Home Depot) and some time can get you a lesser grill as high as you want, without wobble. You'd have to cut, drill holes in the new legs etc.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 04:38:22 PM »
Hey,

What are people's thoughts on the stability of the Master Touch and has anyone used a KettlePizza kit with it?

Thanks any help,
Mark

No issues with my Master Touch kettles. Legs are longer but the triangle is bigger and the footing between the wheels and the front leg is wider for additonal stability. Proper installation of the legs on both sides ( leg sockets and to the triangle and wheels) are the key.  I have used kettlePizza kit moded into Rotisserie  with 2 chichens spining high up with no issues.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 07:47:38 AM »
So is a new MT with the taller leg height more stable than a standard height?  Legs go out further but it is taller... 

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 08:00:42 AM »
Another option is to put a few bricks on the lower triangle. This will lower the center of gravity and reduce the likelihood of it tipping.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 09:03:17 AM »
So is a new MT with the taller leg height more stable than a standard height?  Legs go out further but it is taller...

"It's the same."

Honestly I don't know if it's more stable. But no one has stated it's less stable.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Loudoun Grill

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 12:44:39 PM »
Addicted,

Never thought about the lid bale rollers melting. Yeah, I'm going for the Neopolitan style, so I want to get things about as hot as they'll go. Also, I like the idea of shower curtain rods.

Greenweb,

The Rotisserie set up is sweet. That's a great addition. I bet that a charcoal rotisserie chicken would amazing.

cbpeck,

Thanks. That's a good idea.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the input. Clever stuff. The MacGyver force is strong on this forum!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 03:27:43 PM »
Addicted,

Never thought about the lid bale rollers melting. Yeah, I'm going for the Neopolitan style, so I want to get things about as hot as they'll go. Also, I like the idea of shower curtain rods. ...

A chop saw, even with a blade for wood, works great, albeit with shavings kicked everywhere.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Franklin-Brass-60-in-x-1-in-Shower-Curtain-Rod-in-Chrome-336/100152509