Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How to slow the onslaught of rust-through  (Read 746 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
How to slow the onslaught of rust-through
« on: April 12, 2018, 12:44:18 PM »
It's both a question (from me) and a how-to (from you). Double bonus thread if you ask me!

I know this has been extensively discussed before. But it's a new Spring and new people will be dealing with this for the first time.

Sometime last year there was talk or speculation about Extreme Heat J-B Weld. I saw scant few examples attempted. OK I saw no attempts made?

My results are mixed, at best.

-- It seems to hold very well, but I cannot yet vouch for heat resistance. Sockets DO seem stronger today (can't as easily make them wiggle.)

-- Totally worthless for filling holes or even pockmarks ... when the outer portion dries, it all flakes off when there's nothing to attach itself to. Possibly being an epoxy expert, you possibly knew this already.

Last Fall I gooped (with a toothpick) some Extreme Heat J-B Weld onto some rusty sockets and holes (from the outside, duh). My method first involved tying rags around the sockets (kettle upside down of course) and soaking with CLR or some other cleaner/de-rust-ifier.

But first, here's a picture from 2 years ago. The test subject is my dad's 18.5" he purchased in '76-'77 (best guess, due to having a Bar-B-Kettle lid vent + white wall tires:

Symptoms: All leg sockets a little loose, but grill not wobbly. Also, small HOLES.

On the right there's a big gap at a socket weld. On the left a smaller one is forming. The green you see on the left is the freakin' LAWN. These were "patched" with Extreme Heat J-B Weld but as you can see below, All gone ... and the grill hasn't even seen charcoal in a year.

The big gap, to the right in the above photo:

I don't see it in this pic, but this is the socket with the other hole [Edit: Yes I do, look at 3:00]:

This last socket, although SPLIT a good 10 or more years ago, is the best of the bunch, with no rust through, AND unlike the other two looks good from the inside as well.

Bonus concern: 3 of the 4 grate straps are rusting though at the lower (charcoal) weld. I've regularly used a charcoal basket with this grill, but the damage was started decades ago:

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 12:48:06 PM by addicted-to-smoke »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: How to slow the onslaught of rust-through
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 12:51:45 PM »
Background:

This is a grill kept outside for at least 41 years, and regularly in the rain, uncovered, for the first 37.

Been meaning to slap some spar varnish or whatever on the lid handle while it's still good. At this stage, it might soak up a whole can.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch