Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Both daughter's birthday and I am cooking for 30 kids and adults  (Read 1046 times)

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
Hi there,

Both of my daughters (3 years old and 1 year old) have birthdays in April; two weeks apart on the 3rd and 21st, plus my Dad's on the 13th. This Saturday (the 14th) we are having a big party for mainly the girls and my wife asked me to grill for 30 people.

The easy option (especially considering the young kids) would be to do pre-made burgers, dogs, and brats, but I feel like I am more capable than that. However, the only other option I have is to smoke a butt, but that may be too labor intensive.

Does anybody have any ideas that are as simple and kid friendly as burgers/dogs/brats, but maybe a step up from doing that? Or should I just embrace the simplicity and tradition of being a Dad and serving burgers, dogs, and brats off the Weber kettle?
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Re: Both daughter's birthday and I am cooking for 30 kids and adults
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 04:19:43 AM »
Can't go wrong with pulled pork. Goes a long way, and not a whole lot of work.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 04:45:31 AM »
If the girls will be having any "friends" over of a similar age, right there you've got a second, kid-friendly menu. If they do mac-and-cheese you can do that on the grill in a pan. Maybe do half the pan regular and add bacon or spiced tuna to the other side. If grill real estate is tight, make it in the morning and reheat in the oven before everyone arrives.

The meats you mentioned should be fine but I don't know why they'd have to be pre-made?

For the adults to whatever you want. Little kids won't touch "the weird stuff" anyway. Adults always expect burgers, dogs, and brats when someone says "BBQ," so maybe surprise them with ABTs if they're at all adventurous, or anything they *think* wouldn't be made on the grill. But I'm an evangelist and like to show people that their normal fare takes on added flavor via live fire.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 04:54:21 AM »
Would the adults like chicken wings? I never really know what anyone would like. Wings are stupid easy to make, and you can have fun with sauces and rubs. And they taste better cold than beef does when it gets cold, so timing isn't as critical.

You could also make a community cook: Start with a bag of frozen wing sections and they go right on the grill, unseasoned in any way. Frozen! Turn once or twice. Have sauces ready for the ending glaze. Guests can choose what they want and even apply it if they wish. (Depends on if they are social, or would rather sit on their ass and be served.)

[rant] P.S. No party-favor bags of toys/candy for visiting kids to take home. This is a goofy "tradition" that must be stopped. "Thanks for coming to our house, here's your payment!"[/rant]
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 09:16:06 AM »
so maybe surprise them with ABTs
What are ABTs?

And I am considering at least making it more fun by having a toppings bar with onions, condiments, relish, cheese, chili, jalapenos, etc.

I think chicken wings are a bit expensive for that many people. I can get pork butts for $1.06/pound.  I do like surprising guests with non-traditional grillables.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 09:51:20 AM »
Atomic Buffalo Turds.
Slow roasted, Cheese filled, bacon wrapped jalapeños.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 10:19:34 AM »
Atomic Buffalo Turds.
Slow roasted, Cheese filled, bacon wrapped jalapeños.
Oh my!!!! I NEED to make these! And probably when I dont have to share with 29 other people!!

TD15

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 11:51:08 AM »
When I find myself in these situations I do both.  Burgers and dogs are the easy kid friendly menu.  I smoke a butt the day before and have it in a crock pot for day of the event.  That way I’m only cooking a few burgers that day.  Nor up front effort for a better option the day of.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MauroBBQ

• WKC Brave
    • Mauro's BBQ
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 01:41:36 PM »
Need to look at my “who’s next bday” list
All this burguer/hotdog/butt talk
Ya me dio hambre!!!
I’m getting hungry!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
22" Performer - SJG:N code - GA: P code - Weber Q 1000 - Weber Q 2000 - WSM 22"
Youtube page: Mauro's BBQ
email: maurobbq73@gmail.com

Missbbq

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 10:38:49 PM »
Last birthday of my boys I made sloppy Joe's, pulled pork, cole slaw and some bratwurst for the kids, besides tomatoes, cucumber and more healthy stuff. Oh yeah, fries for the kids!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A5010 met Tapatalk

Missbbq

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 10:39:13 PM »
Oh, I forgot! Happy birthday!!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A5010 met Tapatalk